Michigan Short Track Racing Club: NASCAR fines Hamlin 25K for talking - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NASCAR fines Hamlin 25K for talking Thin skin NASCAR?

#1 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

http://sports.yahoo....24--nascar.html
2004 MSTRC Yahoo NASCAR Fantasy Champion 2004-05 MSTRC Yahoo Fantasy Football Champion.
2009-10 MSTRC BCS Bowl Pick'em Champion

#2 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A furious Denny Hamlin said he won't pay the $25,000 fine leveled on him by NASCAR on Thursday after his criticism of the Gen-6 race car.

The fine also left many of his fellow drivers wondering what they can say about their new cars without incurring NASCAR's wrath.

Hamlin couldn't understand why he was at the center of NASCAR's latest tempest over its drivers' media comments. He compared the new race car unfavorably to last year's car, along with lamenting the overall quality of racing last week in Phoenix.

Although Hamlin's brief comments were barely noticed last weekend, NASCAR - clearly concerned about the Gen-6 car's public perception - leveled a significant fine against him before Thursday's open test of the new car at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

''Ultimately, I'm not OK with it,'' Hamlin said outside his hauler after the morning test. ''This is the most upset and angry I've been in a really, really long time about anything that relates to NASCAR.''

He reiterated his position later Thursday in a lengthy Twitter post and said he'll appeal the fine.

''I believe I was severely disrespected by NASCAR by getting fined,'' he tweeted. ''I believe that the simple fact of us not even having a conversation about this issue before I was hit with a fine has something to say about our relationship. What I said was 1 sentence taken completely out of context.

''I said today I would not pay the fine,'' his tweet continued. ''I stand by that and will go through the process of appealing. Trust me, this is not about the money. It's much deeper. I will now shift my focus on giving FedEx and my team what they deserve this weekend, a win.''

Hamlin actually ran well last Sunday, the second race for NASCAR's new Gen-6 race car in Phoenix, finishing third in a fairly dull race that featured no passes for the lead in the final 189 laps of Carl Edwards' victory.

But when Hamlin was asked on pit road how he liked the car, he said: ''I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars. This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning.''

NASCAR deemed Hamlin's remarks as detrimental to stock car racing, saying that while drivers get ''ample leeway in voicing their opinions when it comes to a wide range of aspects about the sport, the sanctioning body will not tolerate publicly made comments by its drivers that denigrate the racing product.''

That didn't help Hamlin's bewilderment at his fine in a sport known for frank talk about every aspect of competition.

''It's an opinion. It's not even a bad one,'' Hamlin said during testing Thursday. ''I don't want to make things worse than they already are, and this is something that was absolutely nothing that got blown into something, and it's just going to be worse for them, so just let them deal with it.

''The truth is what the truth is, and I don't believe in this,'' Hamlin added. ''I'm never going to believe in it. And so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to pay the fine. If they suspend me, they suspend me at this point.''

Hamlin might not have a choice: According to NASCAR rules, unpaid fines may be deducted from a driver's purse or point fund earnings.

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Hamlin is allowed to appeal his fine, and NASCAR apparently isn't in a rush to collect it. Section 12 of the NASCAR rule book states fines must be paid ''promptly,'' but gives no specific timeframe, and says unpaid fines ''may result in suspension.''

Pemberton indicated nothing would happen this weekend or any time soon.

''We give them quite a bit of latitude, but you can't slam the racing,'' Pemberton said. ''You can't slam your product. That's where it crosses a line.''

NASCAR's decision on Hamlin's remarks surprised many drivers, leaving them uncertain what they could say. When Clint Bowyer was asked how Thursday's test went in his Toyota Camry, he put on a humorously blank expression and replied: ''It's good. The car is good. Everything is very, very good.''

Jeff Burton also wasn't sure how to react.

''I feel like it's a little bit of an overreaction on NASCAR's part,'' Burton said. ''I do understand there's been a tremendous amount of effort that's gone into building this car ... and making racing more exciting to watch. In my eyes, this is the most work that's ever been done to create a car for the fans. I'm sure that has something to do with the decision for the penalty. NASCAR has got to be careful not to be too strict on the drivers. I want to be able to be who we are.''

The Gen-6 car was developed by NASCAR last year with heavy input from the manufacturers to improve the on-track product. Drivers have been asked to be careful in how they publicly discuss the car, and NASCAR has put together a tremendous marketing effort in an attempt to avoid the poor reception the previous model received.

Fans never warmed up to the ''Car of Tomorrow'' in part because drivers panned it from the very beginning. Kyle Busch won the debut race in the ''Car of Tomorrow'' and blasted it in Victory Lane, and the car never stood a chance after that.

''We're so early into it,'' Pemberton said. ''You're making a mistake if you comment on the worst or the greatest racing ever. The first part of the season, we run on so many different racetracks, and we're so busy. ... Positive or negative, you cannot read too much into any of this stuff. This is a long-term deal here, years and years for this car.''

It's not the first time Hamlin has been fined for voicing his opinion. NASCAR privately fined him in 2010 for posts he made on Twitter about cautions.

At the time, NASCAR was secretly fining drivers for making disparaging comments about the racing product, and Hamlin's fine eventually became public as part of a push for the sanctioning body to be more transparent.

''I'm not going to say anything for the rest of the year, as long as it relates to competition,'' Hamlin said. ''I mean, you can ask me how my daughter is, talk to me after wins about what have you, but as long as it relates to competition, I'm out from here on out. The down part is I feel like I've been a pretty good spokesman for them, and being positive when things aren't always positive. They just lost one small spokesman today, that's all.''

It's already been a busy season for NASCAR discipline. Last month, the governing body suspended Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements indefinitely for violating its code of conduct with an apparently insensitive remark to an MTV blogger. NASCAR sent Clements to work with a sports diversity expert before he'll be allowed back in his car.

---

AP Auto Racing Writer Jenna Fryer contributed to this report.
2004 MSTRC Yahoo NASCAR Fantasy Champion 2004-05 MSTRC Yahoo Fantasy Football Champion.

#3 User is offline   Bishop Icon

• Icon
  • Group: PR Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Nationwide driver Jeremy Clements comments on 'racial' remark, suspension

#4 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

NASCAR can't draw attention to the product since racing with the new cars sucks, so they need to draw attention to the sport in other ways. Fining & suspending drivers is one of them. Fans are talking about the suspensions & fines, but not about the racing itself.
"If you can't impress them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hit."

#5 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon
  • Interests:Automobiles, computers.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

The cars and the racing will never be good enough because they are way too strict on having them as identical as possible. If the rules were like they were in the 80's and before, the teams could be more creative and you would also see differences between the cars. Someone might find an advantage, but someone else will soon catch up. There would be much innovation and competition.

NASCAR is trying, but they still aren't getting it right.

I wonder if NASCAR monitors MSTRC?

-Maurice
A good part of racing is all the friends you create.
A sad part of racing is all the enemies you create.

#6 User is offline   Doug Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostMopar93, on 09 March 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

The cars and the racing will never be good enough because they are way too strict on having them as identical as possible. If the rules were like they were in the 80's and before, the teams could be more creative and you would also see differences between the cars. Someone might find an advantage, but someone else will soon catch up. There would be much innovation and competition.

NASCAR is trying, but they still aren't getting it right.

I wonder if NASCAR monitors MSTRC?

-Maurice

The same applies to short track racing today. Spec racing makes for a bad product. Racing is not one of those things you can effectively regulate and expect to have the results they want. Safety is much better but the more they spec it the worse it gets. Daytona was terrible, would have been better with no restrictors. I used to watch Nascar races but a few years back gave up I have to many other important things in life to do than watch follow the leader races. And Nascar is way to arrogant for there own good.

#7 User is offline   outlaw fan Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postmrvids, on 08 March 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

NASCAR can't draw attention to the product since racing with the new cars sucks, so they need to draw attention to the sport in other ways. Fining & suspending drivers is one of them. Fans are talking about the suspensions & fines, but not about the racing itself.

Ah yes. One of his better quotes and it certainly fits here.

#8 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:racing

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Nascar has announced that if Hamlin dose't pay the fine that as part of the pre race show for the All Star race Hamlin will be summarly executed by firing squad on the front stretch
Bob Kaul
A full invert is always a good idea
Very Proud to be a Racing Bleacher Creature
MWG Bowl 2011 Fantasy Football Champion
2014 MARFC Fan Of The Year
2018Track Count
Tri City 14
Birch Run 2
Crystal 1
Merritt 4
Whittemore 2
Silver Bulliett 1
[color="#00FF00"]

#9 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

So what's the answer? Tires that wear out sooner & put more driving skill at the forefront?
Even smaller fuel tanks so pit crews determine who wins more often?

#10 User is offline   crazy Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postkaiserfan, on 09 March 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

Nascar has announced that if Hamlin dose't pay the fine that as part of the pre race show for the All Star race Hamlin will be summarly executed by firing squad on the front stretch

NASCAR will turn him into just another, castrated, corporate, cutout.

#11 User is offline   crazy Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Postmrvids, on 09 March 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

So what's the answer? Tires that wear out sooner & put more driving skill at the forefront?

Take the down force out of the bodies, flatten the nose and rear, raise the winshield angle, kinda like a 1965 Ford. For tires they need to wear our sooner, they need to blister when abused, they need to be narrower with less grip. The speed difference between a great driver and a very good driver needs to be greater. Make the cars harder to drive at top speed.

#12 User is offline   Brad Skusa Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

NASCAR needs an education in the English language regarding the words they use to describe things.

Verb: Criticize unfairly; disparage: "there is a tendency to denigrate the poor".

Unfairly criticizing something would be if he had no involvement in the sport at all. We all saw what happened that Sunday, and it was a very fair assessment because what he said reflected on what was happening.

Another thing that is very vague is the rule that NASCAR used in their rulebook to deem these comments as "disparaging".

NASCAR determined that Hamlin violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) of the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book.

Detrimental to stock car racing as a whole? Or just to the sanctioning body of NASCAR? This really needs to be cleared up because there are more stock car sanctioning body's out there besides NASCAR.......Does ARCA ring a bell? What can be so detrimental about giving an opinion on how something is working? Is that not how we make things better? Question them constructively with theory and solutions to make that something work better?

The funny thing about this is NASCAR failed to fine Kyle Busch in 2007 after his win at Bristol Motor Speedway stating "These cars just suck". Were was his fine? How about Brad Keselowski for making the statement about the Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer incident at Phoenix last year "That is f****ing bulls**t"? Though I agreed with him about his statement on how NASCAR can fine him $50,000 for his comments on fuel injection. And what about the fine for the driver who made the public comment on how Brad Keselowski has a "Death Wish"..........Where was that fine? That could be legally considered as a threat to another human being....How about NASCAR's displeasure with the USA Today article with Brad Keselowski just giving positive theory's on how to make NASCAR better as a whole? It just keeps going on......

Bottom line of all of this is, NASCAR continues to drive our sport of Auto Racing in to the ground by using their foothold on Stock Car racing to claim that they "own" stock car racing and claim their name, NASCAR a sport...when in fact NASCAR is not a sport, it is a sanction body of Auto Racing.................A pretty arrogant state of mind which has lead to the public image it has today beyond the people involved in the actual making that is the circus charade of NASCAR.

NASCAR began 2013 year campaign with what was seen Live on the SPEED Channel with the Battle At The Beach debacle, as you can see, it is still following that trend of stupidity.

This is just my opinion and what I have gathered, take it for what it is worth to you.

EDIT: I may also add, that before this year............the only real "true" Stock Car Series left in the world was the V8 Supercars...........But of course NASCAR will claim that they have the foothold in Stock Car racing......I bet the people of Australia and Europe would have a different opinion...

#13 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:racing

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'am a big Brad Keselowski fan but whats the difference between what Brad said and what Hamlin?
Bob Kaul
A full invert is always a good idea
Very Proud to be a Racing Bleacher Creature
MWG Bowl 2011 Fantasy Football Champion
2014 MARFC Fan Of The Year
2018Track Count
Tri City 14
Birch Run 2
Crystal 1
Merritt 4
Whittemore 2
Silver Bulliett 1
[color="#00FF00"]

#14 User is offline   needforlatemodelspeed Icon

• King Of Kings
  • Icon
  • Interests:Dirt Track Racing and Snowmobiling

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Maybe if they could keep those foreign motors together they could keep the cars on the track and work on the aero balance of the cars and make them work. How many motors have they blown? I know it's atleast 5 or 6 already and all they have been to is Daytona and PHX. Seriously Denny, shut your yapper and race. The dude came the closest he will ever get to a championship 3 yrs ago.
2006/2008 Crystal Motor Speedway Pro Truck Track Champions

#40 Pro Truck "Crystal Crippler"

Blood, Sweat and Bent Equipment

#15 User is offline   superbeetle Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:racing -football-basketball-baseball

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

BEEN WATCHING NASCAR SINCE 1975. SINCE 2001 I WATCH 1 RACE A YEAR DAYTONA. GIVE ME THE GOOD OLE BOYS.

#16 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon
  • Interests:Automobiles, computers.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

If Darrell Waltrip was just starting out today, he would go broke with all the fines. Same with Dale, Sr. Although, Dale knew enough to say something quick and then just turn around and start walking away before he said anything more.

-Maurice
A good part of racing is all the friends you create.
A sad part of racing is all the enemies you create.

#17 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Nascar is boring. Watching cookie cutters follow each other around is not worth 2cents. Someone should rent those tracks on off nascar weekends and get a racing race going on,instead pretty boy soap box stuff. 2 or 3 rules and run what ya got. Rules,1 must have tires, 2 must have pistons,3 2800#,4 must fit thru box8ft by 5 ft. go at it boys, pit fights get 2 points winner,1 point loser. driver fight 5 points winner ,loser 0 points if he started it. 2 if he didn't. police called 5 bonus points, 1 point for every arrest of crew member, 10 for driver arrest.....lets go racing

#18 User is offline   outlaw fan Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Postmrvids, on 08 March 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

As a fan I don't know what to do to the cars but as far as watching goes I say segment the races. Divide them into 4 equal segments, award points for each segment, flip the top 20 after each segment and start everybody fresh after a short mandatory stop. Whatever they do I wish the fuel mileage race would go away.

#19 User is offline   CLT Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I worked in NASCAR as a marketing consultant as well as in the media corps and I can tell you without hesitation NASCAR controls everything. They control the teams, the drivers, the tracks and to an extent the media. (The media has wrestled back some control in recent years).

It was common knowledge back in the 90's that if we printed or said anything on air that was detrimental to NASCAR we would lose our hard cards, media passes and access to the drivers through our garage/pit road passes. I spent weekends with Ned Jarret and Benny Parsons and we had many private conversations about NASCAR and even they watched their P's and Q's so as not to destroy their careers.

Drivers were a bit more outspoken then and NASCAR gave them some leeway but around 2000 huge amounts of money poured in from sponsors and they demanded a complete package. NASCAR and sponsors started tightening the reins on the drivers and created neat little marketing packages called New Millenium drivers. That is when everything changed. I have hours of tape of interviews from the 90's with drivers where they spoke openly to me in private. They knew they could trust me and that those tapes I personally edited before being playing back on the radio. I knew if I released some of what they said it could get them in trouble as well as hang me. Some of it could never be repeated over the air as it was very colorful. :) I never once burned a driver ever and I never will.

I still cannot believe how much control they have over drivers, teams, tracks, sponsors, etc. Everything now days is carefully orchestrated according to their overall marketing/business goals and plans. I look for it to get worse before it gets better. The fans really revolted over the Hamlin thing. I personally believe if he pushed the issue NASCAR wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Something about freedom of speech. But they could make life miserable for him. I am glad to see him standing up for his rights and happy the fans see through the NASCAR BS and are rallying behind him.

If NASCAR did read my comments here its no biggie. I trashed them in an article from a major city newspaper a couple years ago and will never see a garage pass again. No biggie I wont even watch a race anymore unless its short track racing. Screw France and Screw NASCAR. :wedgie: :bana:

Chris

#20 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Icon

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

If we never hear from Chris again we'll know who to suspect.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users