• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TIRES

#1 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

TIRES:worked the company booth at Detroit Autorama last weekend. While there talked to a couple of racers who had a cool little 68 Nova bodied street stock that they race up north at Sands Speedway. The tires they run are Towel City retreads on Hoosier casings. They told me they get a year out of them! They said even their late models run them with no problems. I later went on line to see if there were any bad reviews on them. Couldnt find any and found all kinds of cars run them. Anybody on here ever have any problems with them? Seems to me they might help get some more racers back to the tracks. I know the tire bill is keeping me from racing. So promoters what would be more profitable to you, selling 10 sets of tires a nite, or having 20 more cars with 4or5 crew members each show up. Might bring back the fans that got tired of 10 to 12 car shows. In 2002 my son ran street stock at flat rock and we had D mains almost every nite. Last couple of years we barely make a full A. I dont believe all those cars are gone. O K opinion poll is open. What do you guys think?

#2 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon
  • Group: Sponsor Member

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Get more info,this heard it from someone who heard it is not going to get much support. Besides no one really wants to cut costs,its just a way to run ur yap and never have to actually do anything. When a idea comes along it will be explained to you that it will never work and just because it works every where else is of no value. I would try them if they were available. I know who will say "if I had a car I would not run retreads because......." Find out price and availability and I figure no one would know if they were r-t anyway. I would imagine that if they were faster then some one already has some. How nice that would to buy cheaper tires that were faster and no one would know. We want to race space shuttle technology in economy classes since there is always someone who can afford it. No such thing as saying "no,no,and no to costly unneeded expenses if one team wants it and he donates to the track somehow.

You can see how much anyone cares buy the responses.

#3 User is offline   Clemenskid21 Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:RACING!!!

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

View Postmod911, on 15 March 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Get more info,this heard it from someone who heard it is not going to get much support. Besides no one really wants to cut costs,its just a way to run ur yap and never have to actually do anything. When a idea comes along it will be explained to you that it will never work and just because it works every where else is of no value. I would try them if they were available. I know who will say "if I had a car I would not run retreads because......." Find out price and availability and I figure no one would know if they were r-t anyway. I would imagine that if they were faster then some one already has some. How nice that would to buy cheaper tires that were faster and no one would know. We want to race space shuttle technology in economy classes since there is always someone who can afford it. No such thing as saying "no,no,and no to costly unneeded expenses if one team wants it and he donates to the track somehow.

I just scoped out the website. It seems they offer a wide variety of racing tires based off of several brands of tires. It would be interesting to get a set to test against the hoosier and ar 970. Its hard to imagine a company like this has been around as long as they have, and their business hasn't substantially grown given the rising cost of racing. At the very least, there has to be some consideration given to this.
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!

#4 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Are there local dealers selling tires at the racetrack? Or do the tracks order the tires and sell them themselves?
2004 MSTRC Yahoo NASCAR Fantasy Champion 2004-05 MSTRC Yahoo Fantasy Football Champion.
2009-10 MSTRC BCS Bowl Pick'em Champion

#5 User is offline   RowZ Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

The Ontario Modified Racing Series is running these Towel City retreads.

#6 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

View Postmod911, on 15 March 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Talked to towel city people friday. Rep told me the track could sell them to the racer at 340.00 per set and MAKE money. Already heard from track official that they dont want to put up with treads ripping off. Towel city told me they retread racing tires not truck tires and if tread ripped off he wouls replace tires free of charge and pay for damages. Towel city rep also wanted me to thank all the racers at flat rock for using up the 880"s the way we do cause he uses all our cores that the track sells him. All I know is I dont want to go out and just drive around I want to be competative but I CANT afford to but 444.00 worth of tires every nite to run for 200.00.

#7 User is offline   fastforward Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostDouble D, on 16 March 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Talked to towel city people friday. Rep told me the track could sell them to the racer at 340.00 per set and MAKE money. Already heard from track official that they dont want to put up with treads ripping off. Towel city told me they retread racing tires not truck tires and if tread ripped off he wouls replace tires free of charge and pay for damages. Towel city rep also wanted me to thank all the racers at flat rock for using up the 880"s the way we do cause he uses all our cores that the track sells him. All I know is I dont want to go out and just drive around I want to be competative but I CANT afford to but 444.00 worth of tires every nite to run for 200.00.

I can't imagine Flat Rock/Toledo tracks (or many others) changing tire suppliers, especially since, #1 they are in bed with Hoosier, #2 selling Hoosier tires at a premium is a revenue source for the tracks, and #3 they refuse to listen to there customers, no matter how logical your ideas may be.

#8 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

View Postfastforward, on 16 March 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

I can't imagine Flat Rock/Toledo tracks (or many others) changing tire suppliers, especially since, #1 they are in bed with Hoosier, #2 selling Hoosier tires at a premium is a revenue source for the tracks, and #3 they refuse to listen to there customers, no matter how logical your ideas may be.

Like i stated before who you going to sell tires to when no one shows up and how long will the fans stand for six car races.

#9 User is offline   fastforward Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostDouble D, on 16 March 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

Like i stated before who you going to sell tires to when no one shows up and how long will the fans stand for six car races.

I agree with you completely, unfortunately the race track powers-that-be aren't on the same logic. just look at the stands,the pits and that awesome point fund, it's obvious they know what to do (haha)

#10 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

View Postfastforward, on 16 March 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I agree with you completely, unfortunately the race track powers-that-be aren't on the same logic. just look at the stands,the pits and that awesome point fund, it's obvious they know what to do (haha)

I keep trying to tell them that when they finally push us all out they will still have to pay taxes on those dust bowls along telegraph and alexis roads.

#11 User is offline   vignoles419 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Interests:circle jerking mods

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostDouble D, on 16 March 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

I personally don,t care how much tires cost because $340 or $444 is too much for a small purse . the only real solution I see would be a one tire limit per night and that is the real reason why more cars don,t come out to play. I have 2 mods in the shop just sitting for the last 6 years I,ll be damned if I,m going to pay $888 for two sets of tires for them to be competitive so instead only one is coming out. just my opinion why more don,t come out :beatdeadhorse5:/>

#12 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

View Postvignoles419, on 18 March 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

I personally don,t care how much tires cost because $340 or $444 is too much for a small purse . the only real solution I see would be a one tire limit per night and that is the real reason why more cars don,t come out to play. I have 2 mods in the shop just sitting for the last 6 years I,ll be damned if I,m going to pay $888 for two sets of tires for them to be competitive so instead only one is coming out. just my opinion why more don,t come out :beatdeadhorse5:/>/>

The 340.00 set will last at least a half season and most people use them a full season so the cost is a lot lower.

#13 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon
  • Group: Sponsor Member

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

what track did you talk to? do they look different? I would try them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users