Michigan Short Track Racing Club: 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny trouble

#1 User is offline   fed-up Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

I have a 98 jeep gr chrke with a 5.9 litre (or 5.8 ?) engine , 4speed automatic with quadratrak 4x4 that got sunk in the mud and water. I drained the tranny fluid to get most of the water out but it was still a little pink because I never drained the t converter. Not sure if it requires special trans fluid or not but I put whatever I had back in it. New fluid but just dextron or whatever. Anyways it drove decent but then started acting like it was dragging just a tickle but then it would come out of it and act normal for a while. Then one day it just lost forward gears but reverse is fine. I'm pretty sure that the clutches or whatever aren't burned up or wore completely out because I've burned up plenty of tranny in my day, but I'm not positive on that. It acts more like a pressure type problem. I know it was a bonehead move but the thing still runs great and just trying to decide what to do with it. Its just a play toy thats barely too good for the crusher but not good enough to put a tranny in. Was hoping it could possibly be something fairly simple to fix. Should I fix it or sell it or part it out or just drag to the crusher and get my $400 ? Thanks :-)

#2 User is offline   governor Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

View Postfed-up, on 22 March 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

I have a 98 jeep gr chrke with a 5.9 litre (or 5.8 ?) engine , 4speed automatic with quadratrak 4x4 that got sunk in the mud and water. I drained the tranny fluid to get most of the water out but it was still a little pink because I never drained the t converter. Not sure if it requires special trans fluid or not but I put whatever I had back in it. New fluid but just dextron or whatever. Anyways it drove decent but then started acting like it was dragging just a tickle but then it would come out of it and act normal for a while. Then one day it just lost forward gears but reverse is fine. I'm pretty sure that the clutches or whatever aren't burned up or wore completely out because I've burned up plenty of tranny in my day, but I'm not positive on that. It acts more like a pressure type problem. I know it was a bonehead move but the thing still runs great and just trying to decide what to do with it. Its just a play toy thats barely too good for the crusher but not good enough to put a tranny in. Was hoping it could possibly be something fairly simple to fix. Should I fix it or sell it or part it out or just drag to the crusher and get my $400 ? Thanks :-)/>/>

You should drain and refill with the correct fluid as that trans does require a different fluid.

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#3 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Some of those trans had bonding agents that are on those clutches are broken down by water. Not sure if that is one but could be. Will check more later. I remember some trans that had water leaking down dipstick tube and eating up clutch glue.....

#4 User is offline   fed-up Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

I will at least try draining the fluid and replacing the proper fluid and probably another filter. Thanks Gov. If it is the glue thing Dick then the tranny is basicly toast and in need of a complete rebuild you think? Thanks for help fellas

#5 User is offline   berg621 Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:racing and other motorsports, go figure

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

The trans needs ATF+4. My dad worked at a Dodge dealership, someone had a trans fluid leak in a PT cruiser, put the dex-merc fluid in and smoked the clutches in it trans of the cruiser. Your trans probably needs a rebuild.
work hard, party harder, race hardest

2007 U.S.A. Compact figure8 driver of the year.
2008 U.S.A. Compact Figure8 CHAMPION

2013 Track count:
Raced: Tri City 1, Crystal 1
Watched: Mottvile 1, Auto City 1

#6 User is offline   ford396 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

You are wasting your time and money to change the fluid. Yes it is probable that you do not have the correct fluid in it, but regardless of fluid type, it is still going to move. You stated it will not move forward, but reverse is ok. This tells us the converter is driving the pump and the pump is working. As previously mentioned, many of these trans used water soluble glue that most likely allowed clutch disc friction to become un-bonded. It sounds like it is time to tear it down.

Bob

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users