Michigan Short Track Racing Club: What I Did During My "Summer Vacation - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What I Did During My "Summer Vacation Tip of the Hat to Cheech and Chong's bit of the Same Name

#1 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

Just as MSTRC was prepping to shut down in February of 2016, I was recovering from a massive heart surgery that included replacing the heart valve I had had replaced back in 2001. It had torn loose and was doing what a lot of people do today - just flop around in the stream of things. I also had a huge aortic aneurysm repaired. You've all seen a radiator hose bubble up and then blow: that is what was going on with my main artery coming off my heart. I was unconscious for several days and spent about twenty three days in the hospital cardiac ICU. Fast forward these seventeen months or so and I feeling so much better than I have felt in at least twenty years, it is ridiculous. Going in for surgery, I was taking about 175 pills a day. Today I take a total of five meds and four major electrolyte supplements (potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron) and I walk at least a mile or more every day.

While the way it all happened is difficult to explain, I got a house in the Upper Peninsula for next to nothing and we have 99% completed our move up here. The peace and solitude it affords us has allowed my wife to make a bit of forward progress after her first stroke (for a current total of five now) back in January of 2014. She'll never be the same, but there are days that she is and I'll take those days and remember them.

I've always been a writer and I finally got around to getting my first book published in November of 2013. Since then, I've published about fourteen more on multiple subjects from 'spooky stories' to serial killers to depression to child abuse to a children's story that my then seven year old grandson helped me write. That book, "Johnny Robot - Space Alien," rose to #22 on Amazon's list of children's books for two weeks. It is also my second best selling audio book. I have five of those out, with a sixth in progress. I don't make monster money doing it, but I make some and more importantly, it keeps my mind busy.

Since I was a kid, my Dad dragged his kids all over the UP and now that I live here, I'm working on an e-book series I'm titling "Wandering Michigan's Upper Peninsula" and in the series, I'll take photos and videos I've taken as I've visited certain areas and readers of the e-book will be able to see full color photos and videos of the area I'm talking about in that particular story. While I haven't released any of them yet, I'm nearing completion of stories of 'The Might Mac' and the Tahquamenon Falls area (titled "The Tahquamenon Falls and the River Behind It") that will show the very beginning of the river and follow it in photos and video to where it empties into Lake Superior. Oddly enough, the river begins about ten miles from where I live.

I'm gathering info and photos and video of the various falls and sights around the Munising area, Big Springs (aka "Kitch-iti-kipi"), the forty five mile stretch of US2 that starts at the Bridge and ends at Naubinway. Along that stretch, you can either see or easily hike to Lake Michigan. I have visited these areas many times and am 'interviewing' local DNR and life long residents to get stories that most books or websites don't include. Next summer, I'll be wandering over to Copper Harbor, Isle Royale, the 'Canyon Falls' area, and several other places I have enjoyed. When I lived 'down state,' I had to rent hotel rooms, but now, I can leave in the morning and drive back in the evening.

Will I get rich doing this? Not likely but it makes me happy and if I feel happy, it makes getting older much more tolerable.

What have you been doing the past couple years?
* You can't have courage unless you know fear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Vincit Omnia Veritas (Truth conquers all!)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my books over on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/mul2t5v

#2 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

That's a great story...thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users