Michigan Short Track Racing Club: They have done it again... - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

They have done it again... Toledo Speedway

#1 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

Glass City 200 on Sept. 19th at Toledo and the "famous" track management have done it again...
No support division just the GC 200... and still charging a premium of $25 at the gate! Excellent way to fleece your customers.

This event (and track) just keeps going down the toilet.

This past weekend the Winchester/CRA Super Series event on Labor day had CRA Super Series 100 laps, Top Speed Mods 40 laps, CRA Late Model Sportsman 40 laps, CRA Street Stocks 40 laps for a ticket price of ONLY $23.

The Klash last month had outlaw lates 125 laps and CRA Super Series 125 laps for $25.

Hey Toledo Speedway!... Your Glass City race HAS NO VALUE FOR THE FANS BUYING A TICKET. The clowns that call themselves track management HAVE NO CLUE.

PLEASE WAKE UP.
0

#2 User is offline   Double D Icon

  • Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 24-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dearborn Heights Mi.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

View Postfastforward, on 10 September 2015 - 12:31 AM, said:

Glass City 200 on Sept. 19th at Toledo and the "famous" track management have done it again...
No support division just the GC 200... and still charging a premium of $25 at the gate! Excellent way to fleece your customers.

This event (and track) just keeps going down the toilet.

This past weekend the Winchester/CRA Super Series event on Labor day had CRA Super Series 100 laps, Top Speed Mods 40 laps, CRA Late Model Sportsman 40 laps, CRA Street Stocks 40 laps for a ticket price of ONLY $23.

The Klash last month had outlaw lates 125 laps and CRA Super Series 125 laps for $25.

Hey Toledo Speedway!... Your Glass City race HAS NO VALUE FOR THE FANS BUYING A TICKET. The clowns that call themselves track management HAVE NO CLUE.

PLEASE WAKE UP.

AMEN Brother!
0

#3 User is offline   rjb Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Posts: 560
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

And tonight with the "fastest short track show"

Must be they can only count $25.00.

Maybe 20 sprint cars and not sure how many super mods they will get. Big rip off!!!
0

#4 User is offline   DRTmotorsports Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 545
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morrice, MI

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

View Postrjb, on 11 September 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

And tonight with the "fastest short track show"

Must be they can only count $25.00.

Maybe 20 sprint cars and not sure how many super mods they will get. Big rip off!!!



They have been getting $25.00 for this show for at least 10 yeas now, and it was always standing room only before the newer grandstands were in place.
Duane Turner
Morrice, MI
0

#5 User is offline   rjb Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Posts: 560
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostDRTmotorsports, on 11 September 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

They have been getting $25.00 for this show for
least 10 yeas now, and it was always standing room only before the newer grandstands were in place.

Yup when they had IMSA supers it was worth it,
But they changed groups to save money and two heats and an hour intermission does not get it anymore
0

#6 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: 04-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dearborn

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

View Postrjb, on 11 September 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

Yup when they had IMSA supers it was worth it,
But they changed groups to save money and two heats and an hour intermission does not get it anymore



Quoted for truth. Until ISMA is back I will not be back. I thought it was expensive back then but could justify it.

The sprints were a decent show, but that was before the group fractured...
0

#7 User is offline   rjb Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Posts: 560
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

16 sprints

12 super mods.

Well worth 25.00 or 100.00 to take family.NOT
0

#8 User is offline   racer6 Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: --

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

Glass City entry list is updated and 29 cars have entered. Will be a fantastic show! Well worth the price of admission!
0

#9 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

View Postracer6, on 14 September 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

Glass City entry list is updated and 29 cars have entered. Will be a fantastic show! Well worth the price of admission!

Ha! Fantastic show and worth the price of admission... Haha

The Main Event Race at Mansfield this past weekend saw 3 cars wrecked heavily that are also on the GC entry list. FYI

If for 1 second you think the GC 200 will be worth the over inflated admission , you are as foolish as the track management... they haven't a clue either.
0

#10 User is offline   racer6 Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: --

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

Most of the best Outlaw pilots in the business will be there. If you don't like that you don't like Outlaw racing. As far as the price, I ordered my tickets in advance for $20. A fair price.
0

#11 User is offline   BigEd Icon

  • Get your "Backside Trackside"!!!!!
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Posts: 5,208
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Blanc
  • Interests:Auto Racing, Bowling, Talking, sports in general

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

The last two post are a perfect example of 2 people seeing the same situation totally differently.

These are OPINIONS. We all have them, and they usually are not the same.

It doesn't mean one is right, and one is wrong, it only means they have a difference of opinion.
Spartan Speedway Announcer since 2003
Owosso Speedway Announcer 1999-2002, then 2014 till ???
0

#12 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostBigEd, on 15 September 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

The last two post are a perfect example of 2 people seeing the same situation totally differently.

These are OPINIONS. We all have them, and they usually are not the same.

It doesn't mean one is right, and one is wrong, it only means they have a difference of opinion.

I agree.

My point of this post is that this track is attempting to run this race without a support show and still charge a hefty front gate admission. I would be more than happy to pay $25 if there were 50 outlaw late in the pits and there would be a couple last chance races as well as a B-main. But the reality is they will be lucky to get 33 late models with about 6 cars that have a legitimate chance of winning.

I just don't see any value in this event. Especially when compared to other shows that I mentioned in my original post.

This race IS NOT the Snowball Derby... Not even close. Until the track management get their heads out of each others butts, it will continue downward.
0

#13 User is offline   racer6 Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: --

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

I prefer to not have a support group at the Glass City. I travel over two hours to get to the track and am there for the Outlaws. $20 is fair price for the 200 lapper and if there was a support group the track would have to charge more. True, the Glass City is not the Snowball, but they aren't charging $45 which is what I paid the last time I went to the Sunday Snowball show. Toledo is doing a good job of attracting one of the biggest fields of Outlaws of any track in the area. Give them a break. If you don't like what they are doing check out Springport show with lots of support groups and a reasonable price. I don't think bashing the track is the way to go.

Only 6 cars have a legitimate chance of winning...really? Senneker, Ganus, Strickland, Bellott, Rosenberry, Landis, Carlson, both Roahrigs, Needles, Hantz, Root, Fair, both Jacks or Berry all have a very good chance at winning. And others could very well pull off a win too.
0

#14 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

View Postracer6, on 15 September 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

I prefer to not have a support group at the Glass City. I travel over two hours to get to the track and am there for the Outlaws. $20 is fair price for the 200 lapper and if there was a support group the track would have to charge more. True, the Glass City is not the Snowball, but they aren't charging $45 which is what I paid the last time I went to the Sunday Snowball show. Toledo is doing a good job of attracting one of the biggest fields of Outlaws of any track in the area. Give them a break. If you don't like what they are doing check out Springport show with lots of support groups and a reasonable price. I don't think bashing the track is the way to go.

Only 6 cars have a legitimate chance of winning...really? Senneker, Ganus, Strickland, Bellott, Rosenberry, Landis, Carlson, both Roahrigs, Needles, Hantz, Root, Fair, both Jacks or Berry all have a very good chance at winning. And others could very well pull off a win too.

My last trip to the Derby I paid $120 for a 4 day VIP/pit pass/reserved seat... I have no problem paying for a quality show or event that presents VALUE. But $25 for this race is too much pure and simple. The addition of a 1/2 mile support show like the sparsely populated weekly sportsman division which the Toledo management-dullards have all but killed, could probably finish quicker than the staged intermission and driver introductions you will be sitting through on Saturday anyway. It's a 5pm start and you should be back on the road home by 7:20 pm but for your sake I hope the rain holds off so you can get home at a decent time.

Honestly, the Glass City 200 is as lackluster of an event as any of the weekly shows the track management generates. It has that feeling of just another outlaw late model race. There is no excitement or energy surrounding the race. And please don't confuse this for bashing the track, it's called criticism and an offering of invaluable business advice they will undoubtedly ignore anyway. What business or company doesn't listen to their customers?? I think I know? Why do so many people believe any race track should be exempt from criticism? Is it passion or ignorance?

I actually hope the track is packed with fans that leave feeling they got what they paid for and ultimately come back to see more racing next year.

I'm sorry, maybe 7 legitimate cars with a chance of winning... Senneker, Ganus, Carlson, T.Roahrig, Jr Roahrig, Needles and Fair,jr. Hantz gets the wild card spot if and when Fair,jr drops out with mechanical issues. I actually laughed when I read Hunter Jack's name... HAHA
0

#15 User is offline   racer6 Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: --

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

Everyone has their perspective. If over 29 outlaws with stellar drivers behind the wheel flying around the half mile track doesn't get your energy and excitement levels up, I don't know what will do it.

With the current state of racing, I really appreciate the tracks that continue to run outlaw shows and all of the drivers that compete. Thumbs up to you all!!!

A little harsh on Hunter. Kid does well.

Looking forward to the Glass City!
0

#16 User is offline   sybra2ecar Icon

  • Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

I went to the SLM Gold Cup race at Toledo in July and the two support classes had 23 total cars. They ran 4 heats with 5-6 cars each and the racing wasnít very entertaining so I didnít even stay for their features. Maybe management cancelled support classes because they felt enough cars wouldn't compete to put on a good show for their fans?

Every year I wonder if this will be the last Glass City race. The payout is expensive ($45-50K) and the grandstands never appear full enough to cover guaranteed purse. If I didnít have a family commitment I would gladly pay $20-25 for the show. Why? Because watching SLMís fly around a bad fast half mile is priceless. How many years will it be until SLMís are gone from Toledo? Who will race fans blame for their demise?

Brian

0

#17 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

View Postsybra2ecar, on 17 September 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

I went to the SLM Gold Cup race at Toledo in July and the two support classes had 23 total cars. They ran 4 heats with 5-6 cars each and the racing wasnít very entertaining so I didnít even stay for their features. Maybe management cancelled support classes because they felt enough cars wouldn't compete to put on a good show for their fans?

Every year I wonder if this will be the last Glass City race. The payout is expensive ($45-50K) and the grandstands never appear full enough to cover guaranteed purse. If I didnít have a family commitment I would gladly pay $20-25 for the show. Why? Because watching SLMís fly around a bad fast half mile is priceless. How many years will it be until SLMís are gone from Toledo? Who will race fans blame for their demise?

Brian

I agree, the weekly support divisions car count is pathetic and I am sure track management pulled the plug for that reason. But atleast humor the paying fan with the addition of a 1/2 mile support show... even if it is only 12 cars from their sportsman division.

I will go anywhere and pay nearly any price to watch late models but I know what an appropriate price for this show should be. Toledo is a fast track and that actually is as much of a negative in getting cars there as it is a positive.

Who will the fans blame for their demise you ask?? Well, it wasn't me that let the division to get out of control and allow all this expensive technology to trickle down. It wasn't me that let the rules become unlimited and price them out of weekly competition for the most part. It wasn't me that made the decision to eliminate the outlaws from weekly competition (and ultimately deplete the car count severely to near extinction). It wasn't me who can't adapt with the changing entertainment landscape and provide quality entertainment to the customers. It wasn't me with the inability to market their product and use social media outlets appropriately and as necessary. It wasn't me...

So, at the end of the day when that track is not making money, who is to blame?? The TRACK and its MANAGEMENT!!

I've said it on here before, if the track is failing and not making money, why is it the management allowed to continue on?? I've been told by the management when offering advice or making suggestions that, "we know what we are doing". How many years have the car counts been falling? How many years have the grandstand attendance been declining? How many years has the track continued to make rules for their weekly divisions that restrict many from travelling to other tracks or not allow other competitors to easily come in as well. It's without a doubt management (mismanagement) issue and if you or anyone else cannot see that then you are also probably one who believes Facebook is the problem and hurting short tracks and causing tracks to close. And for the record, i'm not on Facebook.
0

#18 User is offline   fastforward Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

I left the GC 200 after talking with many Toledo and Flat Rock drivers/owners/crew members and the general consensus was...

-- A concern for the direction in which the track management is heading with the track.

AND

-- A lack of confidence in the track management.

I also talked to many outlaw late model drivers and a common theme I heard was "too expensive" and "can't compete with that", when asked why they weren't racing at Toledo that night. The cost of shocks and bump stop technology were the focus of many and it seems to be the umbrella problem hovering over most.

There are countless outlaw late models sitting on jack stands because of the out of control costs which keep them from wasting time and money to compete and have fun. Many also said they are reluctant to just compete in a "regular Saturday night" show for the same reasons.


So... my question to all the track owners/promoters is: How do you get the late models off the jack stands and to the track? What rules need to be implemented to "level" the playing field? Also, with the decrease in car counts in the outlaw late model divisions, does the division need to continue on with essentially unlimited rules or are rules needed to pull back the division?

Do the outlaw late models need to run 15.0 sec laps at Toledo?

Thinking out loud and trying to develop solutions to this problem...
0

#19 User is offline   racer6 Icon

  • Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: --

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

Sounds like a limited late model class might work so the teams on jack stands could run a more affordable class with closer competition. Limit motors, shocks, tires, maybe no bumpstop technology.

It has taken a long time to get tracks to agree on a common rule package like Main Event rules. Don't think it would be a good idea to have a track make their own rules especially with the car counts that Toledo is getting in their Gold Cup/Main Event Series races.
0

#20 User is offline   ford396 Icon

  • Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 23-October 08

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

I hate to say this but in my opinion: a limited late model class is no less expensive. It has come to the point that all of the technology of supers is now found in the limiteds. A top notch steel headed, two barrel engine is no less expensive than an aluminum headed roller engine; both way too expensive for many today.

Bob
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users