Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Taking the plunge - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Taking the plunge

#21 User is offline   Little-Beach Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:RACING!!!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

BEING PART OF THE YOUNGER GENERATION AND GROWNING UP AROUND RACING MY ADVISE TO YOU IS GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY FIRST. YOU REACHING OUT TO MSTRC IS A GREAT STARTING POINT. BUYING BOOKS TO READ, LEARNING HOW TO SET UP A CAR IS KEY. YOU WANT TO GO FAST BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE BASICS. FIND A RACE SHOP NEAR YOU AND GIVE THEM A HAND. YOU WANT TO LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AND HELP OUT A TEAM FOR A FEW RACES AT THE TRACK. THEN AFTER YOU DO THAT, BUY A CAR AT THE TRACK THAT YOU SEE RACING. LESS YOU CAN BUILD A CAR OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN JUST BUYING A CAR OFF THE INTERNET YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING.
Race each race as if it would be your last!
Jon Beach $ Super Late Model
2005 Auto City Speedway Street Stock Rookie of The Year
2006 Owooso Speedway Modified Rookie of The Year
2007 USA Modifieds Series Rookie of The Year
2013 Berlin Raceway Super Late Model Rookie of The Year

#22 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostLittle-Beach, on 23 October 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

BEING PART OF THE YOUNGER GENERATION AND GROWNING UP AROUND RACING MY ADVISE TO YOU IS GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY FIRST. YOU REACHING OUT TO MSTRC IS A GREAT STARTING POINT. BUYING BOOKS TO READ, LEARNING HOW TO SET UP A CAR IS KEY. YOU WANT TO GO FAST BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE BASICS. FIND A RACE SHOP NEAR YOU AND GIVE THEM A HAND. YOU WANT TO LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AND HELP OUT A TEAM FOR A FEW RACES AT THE TRACK. THEN AFTER YOU DO THAT, BUY A CAR AT THE TRACK THAT YOU SEE RACING. LESS YOU CAN BUILD A CAR OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN JUST BUYING A CAR OFF THE INTERNET YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING.

But every car on the internet is either a past track champion or frequent fast qualifier or has all new parts but the owner wants to go in a different direction next year and the car is a steal! ..lol
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#23 User is offline   junior Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Interests:Love to Golf, Bowl, Drive race cars and hug my family and friends.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostSawmill, on 22 October 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Sylvania, OH (well, close enough)

BTW...old guy? heck, I'm barely growed up!

You have two very good and well known racers that lived in Sylvania, maybe they still live there. Harold and Terry Cook. They both raced at Flat Rock and Toledo. Harold won many races and terry raced his way to the Craftsman truck series. There is always someone somewhere to help. You just have to know where to look and who to ask.
Good luck with your dream.

#24 User is offline   TheShark Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostSawmill, on 19 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Hello all! I've been reading the forum for a while as a guest and thought it was time to join and say hello! I want to start racing! (said outloud it brings to mind someone saying "hey ya'll, watch this!" ..you know somthing bad is gonna happen but it'll probably be fun to watch)

Specifically, I want to run the 1/2 mile at Toledo. I've been thinking about it since I was..oh..maybe 5 (44 now) and after getting a gift from my girls to drive a late model there this summer i want more. To run the big track i'll need a sportsman, but it seems a Toledo sportsman is an animal that only runs at Toledo unless i want to be a slow late model somewhere else.
Any and all ideas, thoughts, etc are welcome, except for telling me it's a stupid idea. (with a wife and 3 daughters I've heard that so many times over the years I'm imune..lol)

I'm looking for somthing to run and not be a total roadblock..i have no illusions of greatness and may even find that while turning laps is great, doing it while getting shoved and rubbed is not..I don't really know. ( but I want to find out!)

Thanks
Todd

If your still thinking Flat Rock is a good place to start, start with an affordable championship car.... http://www.racingjun...-Champion-.html $8500 race ready...just needs a driver.

#25 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Racing, family, hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Damn Rocky and Sawmill! I must be doing something wrong or I hurt my head.....I'd rather run a street stock 100 times and be fast than even get in a LM and run in the back ONCE! I don't see how anyone can own a race car, just to say they are a driver. I want to race, I want to improve every time I'm out there and I want to win, PERIOD! Racing becomes addictive. Jumping in to the highest division at a large track......my frank opinion is, THAT'S PLAIN STUPID! I run into wanna-be racers all the time with some unrealistic fantasies! This just might be one of em. I've been running here in MI off and on since 2004, racing is expensive. I've owned 4 different modifieds and one prostock/sportsman. I'll field a new mod next season. I've raced with and met 100's of racers through the years....some of them lasted exactly 3 years. Do you know why? They went broke, even the hobby guy that only raced a few times a year. If you're gonna invest that kind of money, buy something you can drive of decent quality. Learn to race at a smaller venue, improve with seat time, go kick ass and have longevity in the sport. And get some sponsors!

I'm not a baker so I won't sugarcoat anything.....don't be a dreamer, be a do'er!
Rob Gray
17g Modified

#26 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostSawmill, on 23 October 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

But every car on the internet is either a past track champion or frequent fast qualifier or has all new parts but the owner wants to go in a different direction next year and the car is a steal! ..lol

There are enough people on MSTRC who might know the cars you see for sale to help you out and keep you from buying a lemon, send PM's to some who you see make smart post not filled with drama and ones who in general seem to know what they are talking about.

You will be WAY ahead both in investment and setup learning curve to buy a complete car. You should expect to pay a little more for a top notch car. You can't expect to buy a good car for 2500.00 in about any class. Buying a good used car will normally include some backup parts.

When you do go look at a car take a good camera and take detailed photo's so you can make sure you buy what you looked at.

There are some on here who would go with you to look at cars, might cost you breakfast or lunch, but that will be a cheap investment.

If I can help in anyway, send me a PM and I will help you find the right guys to talk to in the given class you are wanting to run. If I dont know the right guy I can help you find that person.

Gov, (dan logan)
A Passion for Modified Racing

#27 User is offline   Krooser Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postgovernor, on 31 October 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

There are enough people on MSTRC who might know the cars you see for sale to help you out and keep you from buying a lemon, send PM's to some who you see make smart post not filled with drama and ones who in general seem to know what they are talking about.

You will be WAY ahead both in investment and setup learning curve to buy a complete car. You should expect to pay a little more for a top notch car. You can't expect to buy a good car for 2500.00 in about any class. Buying a good used car will normally include some backup parts.

When you do go look at a car take a good camera and take detailed photo's so you can make sure you buy what you looked at.

There are some on here who would go with you to look at cars, might cost you breakfast or lunch, but that will be a cheap investment.

If I can help in anyway, send me a PM and I will help you find the right guys to talk to in the given class you are wanting to run. If I dont know the right guy I can help you find that person.

Gov, (dan logan)

Geez... you guys are making me sound like a cheap skate... I paid $575.00 for this Malibu street stock a few weeks ago and had to swallow hard to come up with THAT much cash!!!!! Maybe I'm just old... :old:

http://i15.photobuck...pg?t=1351705602

#28 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostKBM17g, on 30 October 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Damn Rocky and Sawmill! I must be doing something wrong or I hurt my head.....I'd rather run a street stock 100 times and be fast than even get in a LM and run in the back ONCE! I don't see how anyone can own a race car, just to say they are a driver. I want to race, I want to improve every time I'm out there and I want to win, PERIOD! Racing becomes addictive. Jumping in to the highest division at a large track......my frank opinion is, THAT'S PLAIN STUPID! I run into wanna-be racers all the time with some unrealistic fantasies! This just might be one of em. I've been running here in MI off and on since 2004, racing is expensive. I've owned 4 different modifieds and one prostock/sportsman. I'll field a new mod next season. I've raced with and met 100's of racers through the years....some of them lasted exactly 3 years. Do you know why? They went broke, even the hobby guy that only raced a few times a year. If you're gonna invest that kind of money, buy something you can drive of decent quality. Learn to race at a smaller venue, improve with seat time, go kick ass and have longevity in the sport. And get some sponsors!

I'm not a baker so I won't sugarcoat anything.....don't be a dreamer, be a do'er!

What it isn't possible to run in the back in a street stock? Call me a wanna be all you want there ISN'T too many tracks where you can run modified where I am and a Street stock realistically is a 20 thousand dollar race car, if you build new for a good piece work your ass off to go out there and race for 200 bucks to win against a bunch of guys running like it's the Daytona 500 or get 200 bucks for rolling onto the track and go faster. Am I a real racer, no not so much, I guess. If I was a real racer I would RACE more and bullchit on the internet less might have run better than second in a feature.... probably wouldn't have left home but then again I've run in 4 states with no sponsors and ad hoc help. Built 3 race cars in the last 6 years 2 for me one for a buddy once again for the most part it's just me and my tool box in a little garage. I want to run Late Model and I'd rather not fiddle around the rest of my life running every division all the way up. I DON'T have time for that. I'm not gonna be racing cars forever and I don't plan to be in the back forever either. I mean yeah when I finally am running good I'm still gonna show up and be like ahh crap there's Ronnie Johnson and Chris Madden over there.... Why on earth would I rather run against the big boys, cause I would. so be it.

What's really the difference between a mod and a Late Model anymore anyways, mods are totally outta control.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-1
(Tn) Volunteer Speedway-1
(Tn) Bristol Motor speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#29 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Or maybe I should have stayed in stock 4 and built the highest dollar Type R integra and been unbeatable spendin' my low end late model budget to beat guys on a beanie weenie budget and racing for 75 bucks to win.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#30 User is offline   rwdmonte Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I started at autocity 4 years ago didn't start out in "the smaller classes" acss class, my dad raced for 40 years. Toledo for years and Owosso Autocity but started at mc.clemens. Im 41 now running ninth in points. Started with a 27 year old stan yee howe replica. had some bad crashes not all my fault too... This past year built my own 09 portcity hit every swap meet i could went to everyone's garage and guess what, ran in 9th still!!! This year i learned more than i ever have...
If this is your dream it is bad for family it is bad for pocket book and everyone that don't do it doesn't understand it, but wow it's a blast most real racers will help a litle, but join someones team and get your hands dirty, but forsure try it DAMN IT !!!!
Just say NO to drugs race team

#31 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing, family, hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostRocky, on 31 October 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

What it isn't possible to run in the back in a street stock? Call me a wanna be all you want there ISN'T too many tracks where you can run modified where I am and a Street stock realistically is a 20 thousand dollar race car, if you build new for a good piece work your ass off to go out there and race for 200 bucks to win against a bunch of guys running like it's the Daytona 500 or get 200 bucks for rolling onto the track and go faster. Am I a real racer, no not so much, I guess. If I was a real racer I would RACE more and bullchit on the internet less might have run better than second in a feature.... probably wouldn't have left home but then again I've run in 4 states with no sponsors and ad hoc help. Built 3 race cars in the last 6 years 2 for me one for a buddy once again for the most part it's just me and my tool box in a little garage. I want to run Late Model and I'd rather not fiddle around the rest of my life running every division all the way up. I DON'T have time for that. I'm not gonna be racing cars forever and I don't plan to be in the back forever either. I mean yeah when I finally am running good I'm still gonna show up and be like ahh crap there's Ronnie Johnson and Chris Madden over there.... Why on earth would I rather run against the big boys, cause I would. so be it.

What's really the difference between a mod and a Late Model anymore anyways, mods are totally outta control.

You're missing my point.......and to clarify, I race on a shoestring, it's just my wife and I and maybe a straggler once in awhile. My point was that if you had a choice to race and be competitive, learning as you went, in a lower division; than going out there, running in the back all the time in the highest division. I'd choose the lower division. Maybe some people disagree with this statement, but my opinion is running in the back doesn't net you the most learning. I've done my fair share of running in the back and I'll tell you, it wasn't until I was able to actually RACE with those guys did I learn what I was capable of. I'm climbing up to a division where most of my heroes play, I'm not intimidated. The only reason I can say that is that I know what I can do and I know I have confidence in my ability. I also have confidence in my equipment and for the first time this year, more than 75% of the car will be brand new. Meaning, I won't be buying someone's throw-aways that they wouldn't bolt on a lil red wagon!
Rob Gray
17g Modified

#32 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Gee, differing opinions on an internet forum..never woulda thought that would happen!..lol

KBM17g..I understand what you're saying, and part of my thinking is to keep that competetiveness at bay in myself so I'm not deciding the family likes PB&J every night, so put more money into the car. I'm never satisfied, so I'm doing my best to convince my self that if I want to realize my dream of running the 1/2 mile at Toledo its not gonna be near the front. That might mean that if I like it and am relatively competent I'll be frustrated relatively quickly, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it!

Krooser..you're actually doing it while I'm still talking, so I'm not saying anything about what you spend. You'll be out there, and thats what matters. I seriously doubt Rick Hendrick is gonna show up one night with a golden ticket, and that ride woulda been yours if only you had a better car.

rwdmonte...you had the benefit of having a dad that did it, so you knew what was comming. By the time I came around my father had gotten it all out of his system and wanted nothing to do with it. He never raced on the track, but sure had some fun cars and alot of running on the street. i like the idea of starting in a higher class because if it's all new to you, why not learn near where you want to be. I'm not saying anything bad about the smaller classes, and I know I'd get my a$$ handed to me in them too, it's just not where i want to be.

Rocky..you're doing it, and the way you want too. If you realize that it's just gonna be a hobby and that you're never gonna out-equipment the other guys, you take what you can get and let them spend ridiculous amounts to win small purses. In the off season these are the guys that play basketball against 7th graders and revel in their victories!

Right now I'm reading all I can, and looking for teams near by to try and learn what I can. I'll probably never be a contender, and might be the guy that can only come a couple nights a season, but I don't want to keep saying I wish i'd done it.
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#33 User is offline   Exit82 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Sawmill,

Trust me, all these guys are not try to mess up your dream, they're trying to save you a headache! :biggrin:

I've been there and I have made the mistakes and learned my lessons the hard way, they are just trying to help you take shortcuts to realize your dream based on what they've already learned from their experiences.

As you will learn, EVEN just being out there and running in the back takes a lot more than what the averge Joe or casual fan realizes.

To me, it doesn't matter what division you start in, if you want a late model, then do it.

But the best advice I have seen so far is to get hooked up with a team and learn basic chassis setup from someone who already has the knowledge and to buy yourself a race ready competetive car at the track. (You will win in the long run by purchasing race ready IMO.

The advice that I haven't seen given (Maybe I missed it) is that when you get your car, go to the track on test days and practice all you can. Don't make the mistake I did of going to the track and racing without ever being in a racecar or on a racetrack before. lol (You can probably guess how that went).
Derek Lacey - Driver of the #82 Legends Car - www.dereklaceyracing.com

#34 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostExit82, on 02 November 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Sawmill,

Trust me, all these guys are not try to mess up your dream, they're trying to save you a headache! :biggrin:

I've been there and I have made the mistakes and learned my lessons the hard way, they are just trying to help you take shortcuts to realize your dream based on what they've already learned from their experiences.

As you will learn, EVEN just being out there and running in the back takes a lot more than what the averge Joe or casual fan realizes.

To me, it doesn't matter what division you start in, if you want a late model, then do it.

But the best advice I have seen so far is to get hooked up with a team and learn basic chassis setup from someone who already has the knowledge and to buy yourself a race ready competetive car at the track. (You will win in the long run by purchasing race ready IMO.

The advice that I haven't seen given (Maybe I missed it) is that when you get your car, go to the track on test days and practice all you can. Don't make the mistake I did of going to the track and racing without ever being in a racecar or on a racetrack before. lol (You can probably guess how that went).

LMAO! I'm all for jumping in, but just jumping into a race with no laps in the car or on a track..you're my hero!
I agree that buying somthing that's set up is best..if you know nothing how could you decide if it's you or the car? (from experience in other things I tend to look at me first now)
Looking for some people to hang out with and watch now..and with the season over I can take some time and learn somthing.
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#35 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostKBM17g, on 01 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

You're missing my point.......and to clarify, I race on a shoestring, it's just my wife and I and maybe a straggler once in awhile. My point was that if you had a choice to race and be competitive, learning as you went, in a lower division; than going out there, running in the back all the time in the highest division. I'd choose the lower division. Maybe some people disagree with this statement, but my opinion is running in the back doesn't net you the most learning. I've done my fair share of running in the back and I'll tell you, it wasn't until I was able to actually RACE with those guys did I learn what I was capable of. I'm climbing up to a division where most of my heroes play, I'm not intimidated. The only reason I can say that is that I know what I can do and I know I have confidence in my ability. I also have confidence in my equipment and for the first time this year, more than 75% of the car will be brand new. Meaning, I won't be buying someone's throw-aways that they wouldn't bolt on a lil red wagon!

Look if it wasn't for guys without a chance to win.... nobody would go to the races and watch. I'll tell you this, I have a pretty fast race car. I just don't really get too many chances to run in 2011 I got a late start on the car cause of detachments made it out 2 times broke once then next time I was super super slow and had to start workups by the end of the season 2012 came back from 6 weeks on the boat had a month of summer with the car ready, roughly, put 4 hoosiers on and got rained out 2 times raced once MUCH better still not good but better and I'd never even seen that track in person before still ran better . I mean I'm on sea duty. matter of fact, I'm on the boat right now. I guess I could have built a street stocker, I thought about it. Jumping from mini stock to late model is a ridiculous off the cliff jump sure and the first time I got in that car I came on here and I believe I said I just don't have it. When I think about it, I know I can do it and in 2013 after a few more runs, I'll be able to race some guys maybe not for no wins but I think some top ten runs are do able.

To be honest man, I'd have a hard time in any division other than well the stock 4 cylinders. My job makes racing pretty dificult, I should have gotten a dirt kart just didn't want to do it. So since I absolutely insist on doin' it the hard way..... Why not make it the HARD WAY.... LOL. I know you gotta feel that. You might not choose to do the same if you were me and I can understand that too. I think ol' Sawmill here'll find his own way whatever it be.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

#36 User is offline   Krooser Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Here's my take... FWIW.

I drove/built/wrenched on dirt cars from '68 until '87. I was also on the promoter's end of this game from '83 until '88. Got burned out and my (then) new bride couldn't take the pressure of running two tracks on a weekly basis so we got out...

Now I'm back in.... and I'm not only working on a promoting deal but I'm going to drive some street stock stuff at a couple local tracks.

Bought an old, bent Malibu that will get a new front stub and a $150.00 Olds 330 engine. I have already bought some used shocks, wheels and springs. Why buy new when used will do? Most of this stuff was cheap... I have less than $300.00 in 10 wheels, six springs and 6 shocks. I have two spare bare frames... and a few extra a-arms, etc. So far I'm in for about $1200.00. I should be race ready at under $2G's....

My point is I want to race but I don't have much $$$... all my money will go for new clay, fixing my water truck, fencing, new lighting and a grader. I picked my priorities... cheap car or race track equipment... I chose both. I'm trying to promote cheap racing at my track and I guess I put up rather than shut up.

If you can only afford a cheap car than race it and move up when you can afford it. I'd sooner race a street stock than stand on the other side of the fence and wish I could afford a LM.

BTW... I'm 63 years old... if I don't get this out of my system now I may never get the chance.

#37 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

Well, it took almost 4 more years, but I finally made it out there!
Glad this forum is back
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#38 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:11 AM

View PostSawmill, on 03 December 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Well, it took almost 4 more years, but I finally made it out there!
Glad this forum is back

Well you need to give more information than that :biggrin:

#39 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

View Postfastbackss, on 04 December 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Well you need to give more information than that :biggrin:/>

That was a bit short wasn't it?
June of '16 I bought a Flatrock SS....car has been around forever and I'd heard some good things about it. Driver is lacking but getting better and with a lot of help from some experienced people I think we'll have it running top 10 A main this year. (If I can fight the urge to go up in that 3rd lane no one is using!...lol)
My biggest surprise, aside from the fact that a trailer is harder to find than I thought, is that almost every other driver and team will help and give advice to the new guy! Granted, I went in humble and freely admitted I knew nothing, but the people couldn't be nicer.
Being on the other side of the fence is definitely a different place.
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#40 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostSawmill, on 04 December 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

That was a bit short wasn't it?
June of '16 I bought a Flatrock SS....car has been around forever and I'd heard some good things about it. Driver is lacking but getting better and with a lot of help from some experienced people I think we'll have it running top 10 A main this year. (If I can fight the urge to go up in that 3rd lane no one is using!...lol)
My biggest surprise, aside from the fact that a trailer is harder to find than I thought, is that almost every other driver and team will help and give advice to the new guy! Granted, I went in humble and freely admitted I knew nothing, but the people couldn't be nicer.
Being on the other side of the fence is definitely a different place.

Now that is a much better summary, thank you.

Most people are helpful. You will learn those who aren't quick enough.

I appreciate your last comment. The perspective gained from "the other side" was surprising to me. I like being able to consider from both the paying side and the entertaining side.

Good luck next season...

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users