Michigan Short Track Racing Club: rearend size???? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

rearend size????

#1 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Racing, family, hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 17 June 2003 - 07:30 PM

When buying a rearend housing for your car, how do you determine how wide it must be?? Is there a formula for this? How many inches should the housing extend past the framerails? I was told that my rearend was too wide for my chassis.....Gavin would you agree? I don't think it is being that you need to mount brakes and there is not a whole lot of clearance there. Now on the other hand, I was also told that my lower trailing arm mounts were mounted too far in ward and should be no more inboard than 4 inches from the frame. Does any of you guys have a thought on that? Brakes are another thing...rear brakes. How many of you mount your brake calipers in front of the rotor? How many of you put them on the back? Is there any difference? I'm askin these questions because these are some things that have been brought up and I don't think they are issues......including the rearend as long as I can get my offsets correct and in line with the front tack width...correct? Thoughts, comments and maybe a few guesses would be great....Thanks guys.

#2 Guest_HRT187_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 June 2003 - 07:43 PM

Your mounts were really far inboard because with the 4link they were using trailing arm triangulation to hold the axle laterally. You do want them outward to reduce the effects of roll steer and such, the springs and shocks should be as outboard as possible too.

For width I would make it the same as the front, but if you need clearance from the frame to the brakes then I'd make it that wide and use a spacer on the right front to square the wheelbase if it's within rules. Having seen your chassis I don't think the axle was too wide, if I remember it correctly.

Or rear clip the car.

#3 Guest_chris_*

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:34 AM

I myself guys have always been partial to a wider rear end versus a skinny one. But thats just me....what can I say. :)

Whoops, what are we talking about here ?? Oh...race car rear ends....OK..sorry...forget my comment then.

See what spending years around you racers has done to me ??

:)
Chris

#4 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing, family, hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:47 AM

Chris, I'm one for a firm yet plump rear myself but, in this case when asked what's in the rear I have to say 4.86!

Gavin, thanks I was hoping you'd remember what everything looked like and yes when the 4 link was in there everything was good. Should I just leave it alone for now and make the best of it? Is this something that has to be done or can I wait until this winter to do it? As far as the width of the rear, It is inline and pretty much scquare with the front right. I have to have a 74" track width outside to outside.

#5 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:06 PM

You can try it like that... the worst thing that could happen is the car will be undriveable and you'll crash and die in a firey inferno. Since nothing seems to bind I wouldn't worry too much, it's not ideal but we knew that months ago. If you wanna change it buy some new axle brackets, trailing arms (read: radius rawds), and weld new brackets in the frame.

Or just get to the track and start having fun.

#6 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:12 PM

Radius Rawds!!!!!!!!!!!lol How many on this site know what radius rods are? I bet a few.......

#7 Guest_scotty_dog_*

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:15 PM

chris said:

I myself guys have always been partial to a wider rear end versus a skinny one. But thats just me....what can I say. :)

Whoops, what are we talking about here ?? Oh...race car rear ends....OK..sorry...forget my comment then.

See what spending years around you racers has done to me ??

:)
Chris

It's a good thing race cars don't have headlights........................ :!: :P

#8 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:21 PM

I'd like my headlights as BIG as I could get em......lol. Damn racers minds! Always in the gutter.

#9 User is offline   kaycorbgm Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 02:04 PM

Thats exactly right, Wider is Better!! That is why US girls started really liking Tony because his motto was Wider Is Better!!! Now hes in that Chevy but he's still our favorite..... The scruff on his face counts also!!!
Just a Girl Thing I Guess!!!!!

#10 User is offline   kaycorbgm Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:30 PM

mrvids
We always say "We'll try anything once, twice if we like it"!!!!! My almost weekly shirt I wear to the Big O say "I DO BAD THINGS", so that should tell you something!! Had a few comments last week on that shirt, I just told them I do what the voices in my head tell me too!!! Hummm, nice smooth legs on a guy, I don't know about that. I kinda like hairy!!!

#11 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:36 PM

I ain't shavin nothin but tires and my face man!!!!!

#12 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:49 PM

Next time I go to Owosso I'll have an APB out on her.... I'll be the guy wearin the shirt that says " I can help you do those bad things!'

#13 User is offline   kaycorbgm Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 June 2003 - 12:26 PM

Oh Lordy, I'm in trouble now. Maybe I'll quit wearing that shirt for awhile. I'm surprised my son hasn't posted telling me to be good and get out of this conversation!!! He knows how I'am, being in prison, I mean married for almost 21 years to a racer, now paroled forever from that.... Giving away my age now. See ya guys, maybe at the Big O..... Are you guys "turn four bleacher creatures"???? as we call them...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users