Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Tire noise - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tire noise

#1 Guest_Banked_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:31 PM

Hey I have a question. I have two tires that make a whapping load sound while goig down the road. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing until I rotated the tires forward...then the sound moved to the front of the car. There doesn't appear to be any physical signs. It's been doing it for about a year. Any input?

Thanks 8O

#2 User is offline   ljprevo Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:41 PM

Either not balanced or you have a broken or bent belt in the tire.

#3 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:adrenaline

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:33 PM

What kind of car is it? A lot of front wheel drive cars will start cupping the rear tires if they don't get rotated frequently. Every 6000 miles I'd recommend on those. This could be totally normal. Make sure the car has a good 4-wheel alignment on it, but alignment problems rarely are the cause of what you are describing. If the car has a lot of miles on it, Struts could contribute to your problem. Struts need to be evaluated around 60,000 miles depending on the roads you drive on.

As for your tire question in the other post, If your budget allows I recommend only 1 brand and that is Michelin.

Mike

#4 User is offline   ljprevo Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:54 PM

MaddMike said:

<snip>

As for your tire question in the other post, If your budget allows I recommend only 1 brand and that is Michelin.

Mike

I second that.

#5 Guest_Banked_*

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:00 PM

MaddMike said:

What kind of car is it? A lot of front wheel drive cars will start cupping the rear tires if they don't get rotated frequently. Every 6000 miles I'd recommend on those. This could be totally normal. Make sure the car has a good 4-wheel alignment on it, but alignment problems rarely are the cause of what you are describing. If the car has a lot of miles on it, Struts could contribute to your problem. Struts need to be evaluated around 60,000 miles depending on the roads you drive on.

Mike

#6 Guest_Banked_*

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:01 PM

It is a 98 Malibu LS

#7 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:10 AM

Mailibu's are absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to tire wear. The biggest problem is that the Firestones they are sold on are total junk!!! Certain tread patterns aggravate abnormal tire wear and GM seems to pick those tires(that wear unevenly) for every vehicle that they sell.

Buy a set of Michelins, Get them rotated every 6000 miles, and you will never have that problem again.

Do your brakes pulsate? When having your Malibu brakes serviced, be SURE that the shop you go to uses an ON THE CAR brake lathe. The rotors on these cars will warp within a few thousand miles if the rotors are not machined perfectly. You won't feel it when you leave the shop, but the runout will cause uneven heating of the rotors and it will begin to pulsate fairly quick. the runout spec on these rotors is like .002 "

Mike

#8 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:11 AM

Mailibu's are absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to tire wear. The biggest problem is that the Firestones they are sold on are total junk!!! Certain tread patterns aggravate abnormal tire wear and GM seems to pick those tires(that wear unevenly) for every vehicle that they sell.

Buy a set of Michelins, Get them rotated every 6000 miles, and you will never have that problem again.

Do your brakes pulsate? When having your Malibu brakes serviced, be SURE that the shop you go to uses an ON THE CAR brake lathe. The rotors on these cars will warp within a few thousand miles if the rotors are not machined perfectly. You won't feel it when you leave the shop, but the runout will cause uneven heating of the rotors and it will begin to pulsate fairly quick. the runout spec on these rotors is like .002 "

Mike

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users