Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Dixie in the Journal - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dixie in the Journal

#21 User is offline   BigEd Icon

• Get your "Backside Trackside"!!!!!
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:Auto Racing, Bowling, Talking, sports in general

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have known Greg Tunnicliff for a little while, and while I have always felt he could put forth a little more "press", and effort to help our sport along, I have also been thankful for what he has done in our area, giving us a Thursday piece every week in the Flint Journal , it's better than nothing.

While I may have questioned some of his articles in the past, this one is SPOT ON to most everything I have heard about this situation in the last 4 years. As big as most of you know my mouth is, it was kept shut on all this, as I truly thought it would never come to fruition, and this was all here say. When Mike announced Dixie was moving to Saturdays, I was still surprised, even though I had many indications that it was possible. So many different things I heard, and many more than were in the article. But when I read that article, it was like going back in time.

I support local short track racing, every track, everywhere. I have supported both these facilities through my writing, and radio shows. I cannot fault someone for making a savvy business move to help their business, and support their family, and do what is in their best interest. But even when all those reasons for doing it are present, and you read that revenge was just as big of a motivating factor, it kind of puts some sting into the whole deal. It clouds my judgement on how I really feel about this now.

But then again, who am I to judge!!!!!
Spartan Speedway Announcer since 2003
Owosso Speedway Announcer 1999-2002, then 2014 till ???

#22 User is offline   nate Icon

• building a new pure stock
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:i love racing//bombers are my favorite class//along with mods and outlaw supers....im racing in the lead sled division full time in 08

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

it doesnt matter what its over...its in black and white now...for his reasons of moving...i think Joe making all these up grades this year...kinda made mike think...hes not going to be the only track thats state of the art now...with the new lighting coming in ..the f8 track...and the new pole barn for the tech station...and i herd better lighting in the pits...along with more pit slabs on the left side in the back...greed and jealousy will kill a man..he should be happy Joe is putting in a f8 track..more of them cars will be built..maybe some will just run f8...he should be happy Joe is updating...not look at him as compition...but then again greed and jealousy will make a man do stupid things..
<i></i>Wolf Pack Racing
Nathan LeHotan (BUTTER BEAN)
pits
FRED,Zach

#23 User is offline   snoverfac32 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(HRT187 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:02 AM) View Post
Oh so you were there when the reporter asked Mike the question. I had no idea. Tell us then, what did the reporter ask to get this quote from Mike?
BTW Keep in mind that my job on this website as a moderator is to moderate conversations, which often means playing the devil's advocate to make people think about what they are reading and prevent lop-sided piling on in most cases, especially those where not everyone knows ALL of the facts. I take it very seriously since similar lopsided rumor spreading caused a lawsuit that cost my dad over $20k when Jim Piggot and a cast of other idiots thought they put all the facts together with their insider information.

what diff does it make what he ask mike? if that was his answer yes HES A SNAKE!! do on to others remember the book that came from? mike claims to know of that book very well take off those rose colered glasses your wearing! my opinion like it or not

#24 User is offline   nate Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:i love racing//bombers are my favorite class//along with mods and outlaw supers....im racing in the lead sled division full time in 08

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

good point
<i></i>Wolf Pack Racing
pits
FRED,Zach

#25 Guest_HRT187_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

That's not a good point at all, by that "do on to others" logic, Mike's actions are justified.

#26 User is offline   nate Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

how tell me how they are justified...from what i read in that article they are not justified...it is greed and revenge..maybe you seen something no of us did..explain how they are justified
<i></i>Wolf Pack Racing
pits
FRED,Zach

#27 Guest_Verwayne_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

The money quote referenced was "Do unto others as they have done unto you." Hence, AC started the running a show on Friday nights which, down the road, led to Dixie going to Saturdays... thus, Dixie revisited the favor of running on Fridays by AC by moving to Saturdays.

If I were affected by this, I'd wait a couple months to see what becomes set in stone before I reacted in a way that might come back to bite me.... Time will tell.

#28 User is offline   Galen Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:something else

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

From the Journal.

According to Kern, Auto City ended that deal when the half-mile oval staged a monster truck show on a Friday in 2004. Dixie countered by putting on at least one Saturday show the previous three seasons, including two in 2007.

Kern said what sealed his track's permanent move to Saturdays is when he found out Auto City was putting in a figure-eight course for next season. Figure-eight racing used to belong exclusively to Dixie

Where does it say that this was the only reason? It says what opened the door to Saturday and thenwhat sealed the deal. Should McDonalds only serve on Friday and Burger King on Saturday? Don't read more into it then is there. Myself I liked 2 days of racing Friday and Saturday. Things change. Move on.

Galen
If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space!

#29 User is offline   schinde Icon

• schinde
  • Icon
  • Interests:Music, motorcycles and modifieds, in varied order dependent upon season.<br /><br />And of course, my grand daughter Kayleigh, who I intend to spoil. Some say I spoiled my daughter, I say bunk, I gave her what she earned, and what I could, and she has turned out very well, thank you.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Nate and Snoverfac32,

I hope you've never an occasion to be interviewed about a complicated subject by any seasoned reporter.

Or perhaps, it may do you good.

have a good day,

schinde
Short track racing is more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!

#30 User is offline   izzyfast Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

I got to know Tunicliff last 3 years at AC, and he's an alright guy. I thanked him for coming sat nights to AC, that i knew he was writing a column or getting our results published. and does fine job reporting.

No question he is a seasoned report, but he is doing his job, and that's why FJ pays him to do that, although sometimes I got the impression he mostly show up to the track because he was a fan, too.

#31 User is offline   schinde Icon

• schinde
  • Icon
  • Interests:Music, motorcycles and modifieds, in varied order dependent upon season.<br /><br />And of course, my grand daughter Kayleigh, who I intend to spoil. Some say I spoiled my daughter, I say bunk, I gave her what she earned, and what I could, and she has turned out very well, thank you.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Just to clarify something,

I am in no way impugning Greg,

My post was how anyone not used to speaking with reporters can have things taken out of the context that they meant it, and it may not be malicious on a reporters part at all, he is just doing his job.

I am sure Greg has short track racing's welfare in mind when writing, so don't misunderstand what I have said.

And, MrVids added a point I should have also. The editors can often shape a story for what they feel the audience wants, irregardless of the writing reporters story started out to be.

(By the way, I was a journalism minor in college. Thought it would be a good career. Went a different direction than my education should have lead me.)

anyway,

have a good day,

schinde
Short track racing is more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!

#32 User is offline   snoverfac32 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(HRT187 @ Nov 16 2007, 03:21 PM) View Post
That's not a good point at all, by that "do on to others" logic, Mike's actions are justified.

of course its not logic to you i can tell your one sided for mikey and thats fine by me! but justified by what? one show on one friday not every week but one! and as far as the figure 8 track i think that will increase the car count at both tracks but now they can fight for them cars to! im guessing joe will be smart enough to run friday shows for them! he should also allow the outlaw lates to run with the pros which dixie also does! and match the pay up north for the fs i have a couple other ideas also but i am not racing at either track so dixie on saturdays is no problem for me i dont go there anyway owosso will get my money this year

#33 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(snoverfac32 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:17 PM) View Post
of course its not logic to you i can tell your one sided for mikey and thats fine by me! but justified by what? one show on one friday not every week but one! and as far as the figure 8 track i think that will increase the car count at both tracks but now they can fight for them cars to! im guessing joe will be smart enough to run friday shows for them! he should also allow the outlaw lates to run with the pros which dixie also does! and match the pay up north for the fs i have a couple other ideas also but i am not racing at either track so dixie on saturdays is no problem for me i dont go there anyway owosso will get my money this year

Keep the insults to a minimum.

See post 27 above by Verwayne, we were just pointing out that you contradicted yourself all in one post.

And I'm not "one sided for Mikey" just no one makes any good points going the other way. "greedy this" "snake that" blah blah blah.

Owosso may not be a bad idea. Good Luck.

#34 Guest_scottyd_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

Beware of what is printed in a newspaper. I was quoted in the Argus Press after my house burned in 2005. I never talked to a reporter. News papers sell sensationalism with a plausible story line. I read any article with a grain of salt in any of the local and state rags. angryfire.gif

#35 User is offline   snoverfac32 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(Verwayne @ Nov 16 2007, 03:37 PM) View Post
The money quote referenced was "Do unto others as they have done unto you." Hence, AC started the running a show on Friday nights which, down the road, led to Dixie going to Saturdays... thus, Dixie revisited the favor of running on Fridays by AC by moving to Saturdays.

If I were affected by this, I'd wait a couple months to see what becomes set in stone before I reacted in a way that might come back to bite me.... Time will tell.
ac run one show on friday not every friday and was not all the saturday shows ran by dixie more then payback and my cars dont race there anyway i dont have a stake in this eitherway

#36 User is offline   BigEd Icon

• Get your "Backside Trackside"!!!!!
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:Auto Racing, Bowling, Talking, sports in general

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(Verwayne @ Nov 16 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post

Ya know, I would be willing to bet that this is just the tip of the iceberg. We have no idea what has transpired over the years between these two promoters. I can certainly guarantee you there is more to the lack of cooperation between them then what was written in the Journal, and speculated about here.

After thinking about it for a while, I think we need to remain open minded about the current turn of events. We're just going to have to wait and see just how this is all going to work out. We can't just judge Mike's thinking on the chosen words of one interview with a mildly informed (about the local short track racing scene) newspaper writer (I mean no disrespect to Greg, he covers many, many other sports). There's just way more to this.

I also think we need to be a little more respectful here too, myself included. These guys are people too. Yep, that's right, promoters ARE human. We're digging in pretty hard with some of our opinions. Discussion is healthy for everyone that this has effected, but we need to be mindfull that both Joe and Mike are still the gentlemen with task of operating the facilites that we evidently care very much about. They also have regular lives, families, and have to deal with all this drama way more than any of us. We need to concentrate more on supporting the track that we choose to be at, and not continue to be so hard on the one we don't choose. Maybe you can find a way to support both of them, maybe not. I think both tracks are going to need all the support they can get.
Spartan Speedway Announcer since 2003
Owosso Speedway Announcer 1999-2002, then 2014 till ???

#37 User is offline   racer98 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(scottyd @ Nov 16 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post
Beware of what is printed in a newspaper. I was quoted in the Argus Press after my house burned in 2005. I never talked to a reporter. News papers sell sensationalism with a plausible story line. I read any article with a grain of salt in any of the local and state rags. angryfire.gif

Why didn't you include the National papers also?
2007 MSTRC Yahoo NCAA Tourney Champion

2012 Track Count Watching: Galesburg [3] Springport [2] Shady Bowl [1] Butler [1]

Racing: Angola [3] Galesburg [1]

#38 User is offline   snoverfac32 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(HRT187 @ Nov 17 2007, 12:37 AM) View Post
Keep the insults to a minimum.

See post 27 above by Verwayne, we were just pointing out that you contradicted yourself all in one post.

And I'm not "one sided for Mikey" just no one makes any good points going the other way. "greedy this" "snake that" blah blah blah.

Owosso may not be a bad idea. Good Luck.

your wright i should have not called mike a snake that is uncalled for on my part as i am not his or anyone elses judge for that i apoligize! for my opinions on his motive i do not

#39 Guest_scottyd_*

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(racer98 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:57 PM) View Post
Why didn't you include the National papers also?

Why not? I don't read the National papers. Minor oversight. Still get the point???

#40 User is offline   racer98 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(scottyd @ Nov 17 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post
Why not? I don't read the National papers. Minor oversight. Still get the point???

I got the point I don't find the national papers any more trustworthy than the local ones wink.gif
2007 MSTRC Yahoo NCAA Tourney Champion

2012 Track Count Watching: Galesburg [3] Springport [2] Shady Bowl [1] Butler [1]

Racing: Angola [3] Galesburg [1]

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users