Michigan Short Track Racing Club: RR Shock Travel Dirt Modified - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RR Shock Travel Dirt Modified

#1 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

What kind of compression travel should I be seeing on the right rear shock on a dirt modified with a a 4 bar shock in front?
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are things that I believe that I will never say, but I shall never say the things that I do not believe.

#2 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

not trying to be a pain, but are you looking for the shaft displacement? (axle movement + birdcage index) or just the axle movement relative to the chassis?
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

Beatrice (NE) Spring Nationals March 9-10 (weather permitting)
IMCA @ Tri City Speedway starting April 20th
Boone Supernationals September 4-8

Follow me on Facebook!

#3 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Shaft displacement is what I was thinking. It's the easiest to verify with the travel indicator. I know there's a number of factors that will make the axle travel different with the same shock travel. I'm getting a little less then 3" compression at the shock. I'm not getting a balanced weight transfer and think I need to free up the rear a bit more.
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are things that I believe that I will never say, but I shall never say the things that I do not believe.

#4 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

View Postratracer49, on 24 November 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Shaft displacement is what I was thinking. It's the easiest to verify with the travel indicator. I know there's a number of factors that will make the axle travel different with the same shock travel. I'm getting a little less then 3" compression at the shock. I'm not getting a balanced weight transfer and think I need to free up the rear a bit more.

I usually see closer to 4" on the "travel indicator" and around 3.5" reading the dirt ring. I probably trail brake too much and keep the car up on the LR forcing it inactive while the RR moves.
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

Beatrice (NE) Spring Nationals March 9-10 (weather permitting)
IMCA @ Tri City Speedway starting April 20th
Boone Supernationals September 4-8

Follow me on Facebook!

#5 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thanks Gavin. So it looks like splitting the up and down travel on a 9" shock should be acceptable. I wasn't sure if it might be just the opposite as the right rear where you have more down travel than up on the shock.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users