Michigan Short Track Racing Club: What IS a Flat Rock Street Stock? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What IS a Flat Rock Street Stock?

#1 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Driving and Building Race cars.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I have been getting requests for info in Flat Rock Street Stock rules,,they are NOT on line,,you got to join ARCA at about $100 to get the rules.

so I am saving all you a $100 a pop to get the rules.

You asked...

What is a ARCA Street Stock ??

Welll its a interesting story.....

The rules are not available on line, only ARCA members get the written rules.

And because the class has been around since about 1978, and the rules have been added to many times and heve never undergone a complete editing process, the rules sound confusing and contradictory.

so here is the short and sweet version.

A bone Stock lead sled or enduro car is legal as long as it has a 2 bbl carb. This type of car typically runs in the "" C Main"" Street Stock feature, for $35 to win and $20 to start.

Then there is the ""B Main "" Street Stock feature cars that are Stock frames and suspensions with screw jacks racing springs and shocks, and a simple 3 link rear suspension, with a fabricated interior and a aftermarket or homemade template body. $60 to win

Finally there are the "" A Main"" Street Stock feature cars. Typically. They have modified Stock frames, with a simple 3 link racing suspension, HOWE spindles, rack, tubular Upper a-arms, screw jacks, 5 'dia. racing springs and shocks, fabricated steel interior, Aluminum template body.
$225 to win.

The drivers are locked into the a,b,or c based on their qualifing time.

top 22 are locked into the A main feature.

23 to 45 are locked into the b feature.

46 to up are locked into the C feature.

There is NO transfering into the next feature.

At the end of the year there is a A, B and C feature points champion.

A Flat rock SS never gets out dated or becomes obsolite, it just move to a slower feature race. We have Street stocks that were built 20 year ago running the B and c feature.

A new driver can buy a winning A feature car and will race in the C then the B and finally Move up to the A Street Stock feature after they have learned how to set up the car and drive. He does not have to buy a new car every time to move up, just qualify better. It is always cute to see last years A feature winning car run against a 20 year old B main car, and the Old b-main car wins.

=========================

here are the basic FLAT rock rules...........

3,000 lbs min, 55% left max.

Engine make and body make does not have to match, You car run a template ford body with a chevy 350

No Offset frames or cages allowed,,,Any Stock passanger car perimiter frame allowed, FRAME does NOT have to match body and engine ( Ford frame OK with GM Style body and GM engine). Frame may be shortened to 105 '' wheel base, but must look stock. 2 X 3 tube allowed to replace Stock Front and Rear frame horns .
Any Stock fron clip allowed on any Stock frame,,,Camaro clip on Metric Monte carlo frame is OK.

105 wheel base MIN.

Stock or fabricated Template body. body may be aluminum, steel or fiberglass.

Stock or fabricated STEEL interior. No aluminum interior allowed.

Racing shocks and 5'' dia. racing springs allowed.

Screw jacks allowed.

Simple 3 link rear suspension allowed, NO trick rear suspensions allowed.

Stock or racing, spindels, hubs, brakes, steering allowed. Rack and Pinion allowed.

Stock lower a-arms only, uppers may be tubular.

Ford Floater rear ends allowed.

No wide 5 wheels must be std 5 bolt patern, 8 "" wide max .

Engine....
Over 360 Ci add 100 lbs,
Stock Cast iron heads,
Flat top Pistons,
No roller lifters,
roller rocker arms OK,
NO HEADERS, Stock CAST IRON exhaust manifolds ONLY.
2"" MAX Dia. exh. pipes with mufflers.
2 bbl carb 500 cfm MAX.
Stock or Edelbrock Performer intake manifold.

oh yes one more thing,,,

NO Aero down force improvers,,No rear windows and NO rear spoilers are allowed.
8 inch wide Hooiser sportsman tires.

#2 User is offline   wallbanger Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:fabricating,racin,machining

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Arnie, do the basic rules you described apply to all 3, ABC?
A computer lets you make more mistakes than any invention in human history- with the possible exception of handguns and tequila

#3 User is offline   JayTMotorsports Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

A Flat rock Street stock is a limited late model with stock frame rails and stock exhaust manifolds. AKA a waste of money.

#4 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

View Postwallbanger, on 19 January 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Arnie, do the basic rules you described apply to all 3, ABC?

yes just like the Spartan stocks,,,A new driver can buy last years A feature championship car and if he qualifies slow enough he will run the B or C feature,,untill he learns chassis set up and drives faster,,then he will qualify faster and move up to the A feature.

oh yes one more thing,,,

NO Aero down force improvers,,No rear windows and NO rear spoilers are allowed.
8 inch wide Hooiser sportsman tires.

#5 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostJayTMotorsports, on 19 January 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

A Flat rock Street stock is a limited late model with stock frame rails and stock exhaust manifolds. AKA a waste of money.

Jay, for most of us racing is a waste of money,, over the years, I like many others have spent over $50,000 on just tires alone, and that money came from my wages,,, racing a Flat rock street stock in the A main cost $300 to $400 a nite. the racing is hard and clean,,and a LOT OF FUN! also the wrecks are usually are not too bad and the engines are cheap and last fore ever.

last years champion had a car with a decades old chassis, and a simple race engine with standard weight rotating assembly.

#6 User is offline   JayTMotorsports Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I absolutely agree it can be fun. But at the same point there has to be some payback. I raced at Flat Rock and Toledo both. Grew up there and still work on Late models there. My issue is that if you are shelling out 450 or so for a set of tires. IF you win consecutive features and you can barely make that back. That sounds like something is wrong and the promoters. They need to do a little more work to help out the racers putting on the show instead of taking the money for tires and fuel with open hands. So now I would rather sponsor cars and help out The Moore's and people that I know that do their best to have fun and not lose their shirt trying to do so.

Just my opinion.

#7 User is offline   JayTMotorsports Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Cheap engines? I had 12K in my motor that is in the 48 car. That is the car I had built last as well.

#8 User is offline   fastbruce Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:Racin and drinkin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostJayTMotorsports, on 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Cheap engines? I had 12K in my motor that is in the 48 car. That is the car I had built last as well.

In a Street Stock? I never had anything near that even in my AC LLM, all you need for a FR SS is an engine that runs good and stays together, your always turning there work on Set Ups and mastering the Track, racing at FR is the most fun I ever had Driving

#9 User is offline   snoverfac32 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

35-60-225 to win i dont think so! i am going fishing!!! no wounder the sport suffers

#10 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Flat Rock is in THE largest Metro area in the region. If they DIDN'T draw that many cars.... What's the grandstand attendance look like there Trick?
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-1
(Tn) Volunteer Speedway-1
(Tn) Bristol Motor speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#11 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I mean if you REALLY want to compare Flint/ Saginaw to Detroit.... You CAN'T. Tri City is Killing the big paved tracks in the area because they are the hot NEW thing, have a young energetic promoting team that has actually sat back and LISTENED to what fans and drivers want. You put some stupid rules in place that we begged to get changed, you'll send everybody straight to dirt. Yeah I KNOW Oakshade has about the same SS rules.... SAME Metro area as Flat Rock. And they are CRUSHING Toledo at both gates. Not sure why, both tracks are a dump. Although Oakshade is well I dunno, it's one of my favorite tracks in the USA and Toledo is a cool place to say you've been to. You want Auto City and Dixie to become Flat Rock North? Then ARCA should buy them. I SAY why in TF can't we just ATTEMPT to treat our customers right? The Big 2 in the East will make a comeback, hopefully soon. Problem is when the last one of the big 3 came back it took a LOT of people with it to a different surface.

I mean yeah a lot of Great race cars got made obsolete when Pro Stock turned to limited late model, now Pro Late Model (AKA 2 barrel SUPER F'in Late Model), but how many of those cars have been crushed? With these prices for scrap? Dudes in Clio Don't have the cash to dig them out. Or they're too old to feel like it. Their kids live in different states and they are OLD. Everybody left racing in Mid Michigan is at Tri City right now and changin' a buncha crap at the tar tracks might not fix too much. I'd say they are too far gone. MAYBE bring back a motor claim rule. EVERY SS at Dixie and A/C has a motor that should be in a winning late model someplace else. No wonder they don't race there no more.

BTW don't wanna here CRAP about restricted exhaust I'm sure you have probably heard of Bryzezenski. EVERY car there has their heads already, don't make them buy the manifolds too.

Cost saving my @ss.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#12 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

AND ALSO. REAL racers DON'T sit on MSTRC and talk about how great or how bad it is like me. They work on their race cars 100 hours a week after working at a full time job OR 2, just to do it. When Kevin Grizzle lived down the street from me, we worked on those race cars EVERY night of the week. Sometimes we worked on Dad's car too. I think Kevin won 53 something like features in 2 maybe 3 years. You think a potato in a tail pipe is a magic bullet and I tell YOU that somebody like Kevin will beat it. We had best of the best EVERYTHING and a few guys working their souls out to win. All them wins not ONE DQ. Tony Brabbs, the greatest bucks down racer that I've ever been lucky enough to know (was nice to see ya a few weeks ago bro cause I know you're reading this)..... When I was a boy everybody I talked too said oh he's a cheater. Oh this oh that... Tony Brabbs Horsepower is famous for a few reasons it don't break, it's strong enough and it goes into dudes cars that work HARD enough to win. But Tony is not some rich guy, he's as regular of a dude as ANY person reading this 22 Track championships I Think? Our problems in Flint and Saginaw don't have much to do with our rules. But I would say if I could hey 1000 bucks and I get your motor.... It works at Auburn and Crystal. Tire cost wouldn't be as big of a deal if you didn't have to build a 10,000 dollar motor.

And yeah Tony..I ain't seen dirt dudes that race for a living do it the way Tony does. NOBODY preps a race car like Tony Brabbs and I mean Nobody.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

#13 User is offline   Voice Over Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:to preserve the history of auto racing on the short tracks and write a column or two and announce

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Which tracks are you calling dumps?

#14 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostVoice Over, on 19 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Which tracks are you calling dumps?

I would like to appologize to Toledo and oakshade for saying they are a dump. They're good race tracks. I reckon they probably have toledo all dolled up these days I haven't been there in too long to even comment on it.Oakshade well, it's a whale of a place to watch a race but it is kinda well primitive. nothing wrong with that.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

#15 User is offline   jhaydenX Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postsnoverfac32, on 19 January 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

35-60-225 to win i dont think so! i am going fishing!!! no wounder the sport suffers

I should just go buy that harley Ive been dreamin about..........
Johnny Hayden

#64 PLM

#16 User is offline   russrace Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Russell Racing, started in 1998. Catch us on Facebook under "The Maximum Exposure Tour". Home of NASCAR 2012 Michigan Rookie of the Year Jamison Russell.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

2" exhaust, 4412 carb, flat tops, solid cam...you should be able to build one pretty reasonable.
<a href="http://www.russrace.com" target="_blank">russrace.com</a>

The Maximum Exposure Tour 1999-2010

#17 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Actually let me just say I'm sorry for that whole thing I'm glad that theres at least one race track in Michigan getting cars. Now ya just need to get some more people in there to watch them and up their pay a little. No hard feelin's trick cause you are definitly a dude that gives a damn.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1

#18 User is offline   indyrand Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostJayTMotorsports, on 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

So now I would rather sponsor cars and help out The Moore's and people that I know that do their best to have fun and not lose their shirt trying to do so.

Just my opinion.

Jason, How old are Tim & Rob's cars? I think both cars have been around quite a while. The engines that Danny builds aren't real high $$, and both of those guys are almost always finishing in the top 5 every week.
Rand Thompson

Member Board of Directors & Public Relations Director
Michigan Auto Racing Fan Club (MARFC) MARFC

Michigan International Speedway Pit Tour Coordinator MIS

Track Photographer at Flat Rock Speedway

#19 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postindyrand, on 20 January 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Jason, How old are Tim & Rob's cars? I think both cars have been around quite a while. The engines that Danny builds aren't real high $$, and both of those guys are almost always finishing in the top 5 every week.

Craig Lange no 76 lead the A one nite last year with Tim Moore on the outside for 20 some laps with a four link (GM Metric) rear suspension, home made car with an engine that anyone could duplicate for less than $2,000.00. Oh yea and a tubo 350 with a stock rebuilt convertor. A lot of people spend way more money on engines than they need to at Flat Rock. Sometimes the people that help you build the car also help you spend more money than you really need to trying to impress them. The Moore's Dan builds good reliable engines out of not so high dollar stuff but he pays attention to details, and the Moore's dont abuse their stuff. Clyde McKee has had the same rotating assembly for 12yrs he just maintains it. We had one of the front running multiple feature winnig street stocks on the chassis dyno a few years ago and it didnt make 300 horse at the rear wheels. If you going to race at flat rock spend you money LEARNING how to make a car handle withstock factory parts. The latest and greatest trick chassis ideas that work for nascar and late models doesnt work in street stock. It is frustrating running the tires that we have to, hopefully the new 880 will be better but I doubt it so if you have a street stock budget and you want to race the rock is it unless you got a lot of time and tow money to go elseware.

#20 User is offline   zerospeed Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

If they would stop selling 4 tires a night to some people...they may have a B main again one day. It's the same price after payout to field a late model there (nightly operation).

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users