Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Traveling with James Hylton - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Traveling with James Hylton 2012 ARCA

#1 User is offline   silverfox Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

There are things in life that we all want to do before we are too old, like a bucket list for example. This past summer I had the opportunity to fulfill one of my dreams and be part of a race team that runs the super speedways and short tracks of America. In February, my longtime friend Glenn Caswell and I went to Daytona for Speed week. We were waiting for the Credential office for ARCA to open when a truck and trailer pulled up next to us and the three guys got out. We started talking with them and asked if they could use any help this week and the older gentleman held out his hand and said "I'm James Hylton and I can sure use your help". I've heard that name before I thought to myself, Glenn and I will be here all week and we would be happy to help. James added us to his list to give to ARCA. We got our credentials and headed inside the track where we unloaded the trailer into our garage space. Throughout the week I learned a lot about the Racecar driver James Hylton but not with out having to ask him a lot of questions, only because as he says he doesn't like to toot his own horn. I learned he was from Inman South Carolina, about 5 miles from where my mother was from, he has 12 siblings and worked as a farmer, and he loves to eat biscuits. He started his career in racing in 1959 as a crew chief for Rex White and then in 1964 and 1965 he was crew chief for Ned Jarrett. James got his start as a driver in 1964 driving Ned Jarrett's back up car. In 1966 James had 20 top 5s in 41 starts and finished second in points behind David Pearson and was selected as rookie of the year. What is so remarkable about the 1966 season is that James did it with only one car and one engine; he never crashed or blew an engine during that whole season. James went on to finish second in points three times in his NASCAR career, and third two times. James won the Talladega 500 in 1972 and Richmond in 1970. I asked James what kept him from winning more races and he said, " If I had gotten some help and had some financial backing, a sponsor were we could have hired some people to let me concentrate on racing, I feel I could have driven with anyone". The 1966 season was a remarkable season for James, he had a 4.0 average finish topping such superstars as David Pearson, Cale Yarborough and Bobby Allison. Quite an accomplishment going up against teams with better equipment and funding. His last full season as a driver in NASCAR was in 1981. He ran a limited schedule for several years and a few weeks before his 60th birthday he attempted to qualify for the 1995 Brickyard 400. James is still racing in the ARCA series and running the full schedule. He finished in 13th place in points this year and is planning on racing for a few more years. I asked him how much longer he plans on driving, James said, " well. I just got my drivers license renewed for another 5 years so I guess ill keep going until that expires, or if the time comes where I cant get in and out of the racecar without help ill retire". I enjoyed helping James and his son James Jr. or "Tweet" as everyone calls him, (I didn't ask why) this season at Daytona , MIS, Berlin and DuQuoin, and im looking forward to next year helping out Hylton Motorsports. James will be 79 years old next year, check out his web site at http://jameshylton.ning.com/

John Ward
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

#2 User is offline   mcssman Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members
  • Interests:hockey, figure 8 derbies, bbq, ARCA racing

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ive been pitting for james myself for the last four years,, michigan toledo berlin chicago, it is entertaining listening to his stories from the past, and tweet (james jr) as well,, ive meet alot of great people over the years through james and heard terrefic stories, its becoming more fun to hear them than to run the races, its always good to be waiting by the pit gate at toledo and seeing the red ford dually rolling up that dusty drive from benore ave. to the pit gate, and having james chewing on his cigar, saying well ya made it go on up to the pit gate and get yourself signed in, so we can get this show going, and ill be back for 2013 slinging the jack around the corvette red yellow 48 fusion for 2013 as well

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users