Michigan Short Track Racing Club: IMCA Rules ?? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMCA Rules ??

#21 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

Three wheeling is old school. Looks cool but is not the fastest setup. Not sure it would be worth the effort to analyze the angles when 3 wheeling, most of them donít matter anymore once you are only steering with one wheel. I have had a left front get bent pretty badly before and had to change my driving to compensate for it. Basically forced it to 3 wheel so I could get the left off the ground as much as possible to make it handle. Only tricky part was when I had to slow down for someone and put weight back on the left front. It would dart really bad when that happened.
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are things that I believe that I will never say, but I shall never say the things that I do not believe.

#22 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Having to break your stride is a pain in dirt racing since its slideways a lot of the time. I never drove a real dirt car but would lke to play with it a few times before I kick the bucket. Just ordered steel upper bracket for my mod since I have aluminum now after bending them and borrowing a set and not changing them , I know there has been tears shed over them,lol. . Guess I better get to work soon. The 911 was just gone over before Jason raced it but i got new ideas and need to up date the operating system and reboot....

I never went for the 3 wheel thing but it looks cool for the spectators. I guess the guy with the cheap mod didn't want to talk to anyone since he never answered.

What kind of set up does a wingless sprint use Gavin.

#23 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

View Postmod911, on 22 March 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

I never went for the 3 wheel thing but it looks cool for the spectators. I guess the guy with the cheap mod didn't want to talk to anyone since he never answered.

What kind of set up does a wingless sprint use Gavin.

I agree 3-wheeling is dumb, I can take the RR spring out of anything and make it hike the LF... but if I can get the same bar angles with a normal setup then why do I need to make a car I cant see out of? (I'm not scared to see where I'm going, so maybe I wouldnt be any faster on 3-wheels.)

I'm certainly no expert on the NW stuff, but here's what I know. Setup wise they are pretty simple, I've tried running setups guys give me but they are almost always too tight and it makes the classic tight in/loose out struggle. Maybe I dont get the full picture, but I've always been faster on basic stuff. Ran someone's tight setup at crystal for the GLN last year, finished last in my heat, put a basic setup in for the B, started last and finished 2nd... killed 3 cars at a time in 1-2 when a lane opened up. I just need enough RF bar to keep it from nosing over and getting tight on entry, and enough RR to keep it from falling over on the RR too hard from weight transfer on exit(some is needed, but seems like a crutch to me). I run easy ups on the front, little more rebound on the LF, a little tie down on the LR, straight 5 on the RR, or a gas shock if its rutted up.

Some older cars have coilover fronts but most are torsion bars on all 4 corners. The torsion bar arms are all different lengths so the bar diameters can be misleading in terms of wheel rates. Guys think they are running reverse split (stiffer LR than RR) but thats only in terms of bar diameter, some never get it, and its simple enough that they dont need to. The car is also designed to bind on the torque tube to limt RR compression. The jacob's ladder controls the RC height in the rear and dictates sidebite on exist vs turn-in on throttle. The car drives completely different, it doesnt do anything unless you are on the throttle, it will get tight and ball up on the RF if you lift too hard. You can almost ride the brakes all the way around to control the attitude of the car due to the 3 wheel braking (no brake on the RF), this was the hardest thing to get used to since braking at mid corner in a pavement mod is a no-no, but you need to do it in the sprint to keep the rear suspension loaded up, odd sensation when the car steps out as you lift off the brake pedal. Technology goes full circle, everyone is pretty much back to cheap shocks.

They are fun, they bike up, can pull legit wheelies with traction since they have to slow down in the corners without the wings, and you have to control wheel speed at all times. You can't really get any bite on Michigan tracks unless you catch a rut, but down in Indiana they can be pretty gnarly. They are physical, which I like, there are nights when the track is rough and you are sore from head to toe the next day... even when its smooth they are still a workout, sawing the wheel can be about like hitting a heavy bag for 25laps. The first few races I drove my arms were sore the next day.

Since 2008 all I've learned is that Sprints are almost completely different from a tar mod, throttle control is the only thing that carries over in every situation. I've learned a ton since I last drove a mod, as a driver I wonder if I've caught up to where everyone was or if I'm worse off because its so different. The wing cars are a speed rush, and more of the tar mod driving carries over because you have to be smooth and keep the wing straight in the air. Sort of like running Dixie in a tar mod, smooth momentum and faster than it should be.

I remember your aluminum toplink brackets too, you cheater!! haha
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

IMCA @ Tri City Speedway August 31st
Boone Supernationals September 4-8
Crystal Motor Speedway Sept 15-16
I-96 Speedway Sept 22-23
Outlaw Speedway (Dundee, NY) October 19-20

Follow @highinthedirt on Twitter and Instagram!

Follow me on Facebook!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users