Michigan Short Track Racing Club: 2016 What If - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2016 What If

#1 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

One of the other posts suggested I go play somewhere else with my own toys.. So what if someone was to bring back the Thunder Mods with a few new twists.
Normal TopSpeed type chassis but would allow Fab front clip,Stock Lowers.. Fab uppers..Would do away with the weight rules other than max 60% left, this way if you wanted you could run a V6 or if you wanted to be way out there go old school with an inline.Body rule pretty much the same,roof optional.8" spoiler with sideboards. SIngle adjustable shocks and bumps OK. 10" wheels with either 970's or maybe the 35/45 that the OLM run at Berlin this would give those guys a place to get rid of those tires and make some towards next weeks sets and give the mod guys a place to buy used ones if they wanted. Not even going to talk $$$$$. Just interested in seeing if anybody would be up for it and then can start the search for MORE $$. These slight rule changes would still allow guys to run other shows on off weeks with having to make a ton of changes back and forth.
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

#2 User is offline   mod4 Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing and Hockey

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

And Fab spindels
Hodgeson Motorsports

#3 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

No I don't think I'd allow fab spindles unless I was going to also allow Fab (UMP type lowers) After more thought I might also stick with 8" wheels so you would not have to have two sets to switch back and forth to run local/normal shows. And the word sideboard may be confusing.. This would simply be a side plate on the spoiler that would extend forward not a "Call of the Wild" type of 4x8 sheet of lexan
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

#4 User is offline   crazy Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

What is considered a normal Top Speed chassis? The OEM frame rails are disappearing.
Engine block material?
Factory type blocks?
Multi-camshaft engines?
Superchargers/turbochargers?
4 cylinders?
Rotary engines?
Round tubing front clips/chassis?

I might be thinking more open than what is intended.

#5 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

In my mind a normal Top Speed type chassis is just what you have now..and nobody wants Fab clips on those so No to round tube clips either.. Engine,, if you want aluminum fine..Normal configuration. single cam if you want to try and get the lead/lag issue out of the way of a turbo,go for it.. Was trying to make it so the few that are not happy with the current rules could take a car and convert it over and run special shows.. But also leave it open enough so if someone wanted to set up all night and think they have the next best speed trick they could.. I didn't really want to get into writing a complete rule book.. But most rules would be safety related,8-10" wheels and use the Hoosier 35/45 that the outlaw cars run so a. they could get rid of the piles of tires that might have at most 100 laps on them at a small cost. b. the mod guys would have a place to buy wide racing tires at a reduced cost. Notice I said nothing about fuel cell location,or radiator (put it in the door or trunk if you want..we have)and I don't know if I would go back to the wings that the first Thunder Mods had or stay with my original thought of a 8" spoiler and allow 8" side boards like the Super Shoe. I know there are 100's of other things to consider for rules but this was to help paint a picture of what a Thunder Mod use to be like.
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

#6 User is offline   crazy Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostKevin 05, on 12 February 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

In my mind a normal Top Speed type chassis is just what you have now..and nobody wants Fab clips on those so No to round tube clips either.. Engine,, if you want aluminum fine..Normal configuration. single cam if you want to try and get the lead/lag issue out of the way of a turbo,go for it.. Was trying to make it so the few that are not happy with the current rules could take a car and convert it over and run special shows.. But also leave it open enough so if someone wanted to set up all night and think they have the next best speed trick they could.. I didn't really want to get into writing a complete rule book.. But most rules would be safety related,8-10" wheels and use the Hoosier 35/45 that the outlaw cars run so a. they could get rid of the piles of tires that might have at most 100 laps on them at a small cost. b. the mod guys would have a place to buy wide racing tires at a reduced cost. Notice I said nothing about fuel cell location,or radiator (put it in the door or trunk if you want..we have)and I don't know if I would go back to the wings that the first Thunder Mods had or stay with my original thought of a 8" spoiler and allow 8" side boards like the Super Shoe. I know there are 100's of other things to consider for rules but this was to help paint a picture of what a Thunder Mod use to be like.

Just giving you a bad time. :biggrin:

I like the idea a small wing, it would set the cars apart from the regular modifieds for the fans.

I just thought of who was going to do the Howe fabricated impala clips in California, That was Blair.

#7 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

I know just giving it back without getting bent.. see some can do it.

Yea he screwed that whole deal up out there because he wanted the whole thing.. He wanted to be the only one that could put one on.. I think that sucks and for that reason I'm glad Lucas came in and put a hault to the thing..for now.. Price Racing out there are the best people on the West Coast and they along with anybody else should have been able to buy and install clips.
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

#8 User is offline   crazy Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

There is still the issue of the removal of the OEM left frame rail. It may cause some north / south car rule conflict.

#9 User is offline   proglide Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Interests:powerglide builder, ford and gm rear ends, motors

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

i thought the thunder mods put on some great shows back in the day. owosso, auto-city, tri-city. the wings made them look really exotic and the good ones really worked. take off tires on 8 in wheels were cheap and we were mostly running real "claimer" motors back then so most cars hooked up pretty good. is my senility making me remember it better than it was?? don't recall why it fell apart, maybe it was to much fun.

#10 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

I think timing was part of the reason it didn't take off..I don't think there we a lot of guys that wanted to make the changes without knowing they had some place to play.. I can't remember a bad show they put on,,even with the claimer.. That is why I think it would be a good fit now for some of those guys setting on the side.. But like every other series,, where do we get prize $$$$ or is there a single track that would book a show.
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users