Michigan Short Track Racing Club: This message board - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This message board Anyone else have issues?

#1 User is offline   DRTmotorsports Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

OK, I have to admit exactly why I do not visit here much anymore.

Every page that I try to load, will lock up for a good 8-10 seconds before I can do anything. On my wifes new lap top, it locks up for 7-8 seconds maybe, and all four computers as work will lock up for 6-12 seconds.

Basically, a page will load, and it looks like it completely loads, then it just freezes. So I wait for the 8-10 seconds, and then it frees up, and I can scroll, and read fine. As soon as I clink a link to open a post, or make a reply, or anything, I watch the page load, and it loads quickly, but then it will freeze again. Wash, rinse, and repeat for every page.

I use IE 8 mostly, but have IE 7 at work, and I also use Firefox version 3 alot. It freezes on all of them. This is also the only message board I visit that does this. I have maybe 10 or 11 racing message boards that I visit on a daily basis. Firefox will cut the freeze time in about 1/2, but it still freezes, and 5-6 seconds every page is enough to make it very annoying.

The limited HTML knowledge that I have, tells me it is the banner ads for some reason, but I can not find anything to back this up.

Anyone else have issues? I would find it hard to believe that no one else does when I have the issue on 6 different computers.

I also noticed that the number of post, and views have slowed way down, and I am wondering if alot of others have the same issues.

OK, now I get to click 'Post new Topic" and get to wait all over again biggrin.gif I still enjoy this site, but it is frustrating, and I only visit it every few days now.
Duane Turner
Morrice, MI

#2 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

Duane, it is a java script that runs in the background. I'll talk to the tech wizard of the site and see if we can't stop it. It does it on one of my computers but not the other two.

* You can't have courage unless you know fear.

Negative people have a problem with every solution.

*Check out my books over on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/mul2t5v

#3 User is offline   jhaydenX Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have the same problems

Johnny Hayden

#64 PLM

#4 User is offline   Turn4_5 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing, Hunting & Fishing

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:53 AM

I use several different computers and do not experience the problems you describe. The only time I had an issue was when I was using OpenDNS and blocking adware. It would freeze for a few seconds (blocking the ads) and then load the page. Sounds like V knows what the problem is but I thought I would just throw that out there in case you have any content filtering software on your computer.

#5 User is offline   Bishop Icon

• Icon
  • Group: PR Members

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

I have never had any of these issues on MSTRC but I did just have to re-load my desktop to get it faster overall. It made a considerable difference. In talking with sevaral PC techs, they says they do it every 6 months to clear out the registry. Spyware is only so good.

#6 User is offline   shoprat Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

I get that same hesitation when I visit the Owosso and Dixie sites. I don't even go to them anymore. I wonder if it's the same thing going on over there. I haven't had any problems on here. I'm running on Windows 98, I'm surprised my computer turns on at all.

#7 User is offline   saycheese Icon

• Kevin Allgire
  • Icon
  • Interests:Motorsports/All Kinds,&amp; Hockey<br />Local Auto Racing History

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Yep it's been doing it to me for some time now.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon
  • Interests:Automobiles, computers.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

The problem is the ads, or better yet, the servers that control the ads. Sometimes they respond very well, but many times they are very slow, probably because they are loaded down serving up ads to many different sites. Until the ads are finished doing what they do, things like the scrollbar won't function.

The cure is to use Firefox and install "noscript" as an addon to your browser. See noscript.net

The only drawback to this is that mstrc.net won't benefit from the ads because noscript will prevent them from displaying. But if companies such as contextweb, quantserve, and whatever other ad companies are used cannot perform any better than they do, then they shouldn't be used. There must be better alternatives.

The problem with the Owosso and Dixie sites is the images and the overall large amount of data being displayed. The photos of the cars, for instance, look like small images and should load fast, but they are really much larger and after waiting for your browser to download them, the browser then scales them to be the size the page designer wants them to be. These images should be scaled down beforehand so that you only have to wait for a small file to be downloaded, rather than a large file. When there are several large images to download, it takes time before the entire page is finished displaying.

-Maurice

A good part of racing is all the friends you create.
A sad part of racing is all the enemies you create.

#9 User is offline   DRTmotorsports Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

Ok, good. Iw as not trying to start any trouble, just curious is all, and if maybe someone has a fix for it. I really like this site, and the people here, and it troubles me everytime I skip it while looking down my favorites list.
Duane Turner
Morrice, MI

#10 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

There is another quick and easy way to fix the slow page loading here on mstrc. Again, the drawback is the ads from contextweb.com won't display. However, contextweb.com is the source of the problem, so if they are a problem, and they don't seem to be willing to fix their problem, then they should be avoided and ignored.

With that said, the following line needs to be added to a file on your computer:

0.0.0.0 tag.contextweb.com

For Windows 9x and ME place this file at "C:\Windows\hosts"

For NT, Win2K and XP use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
or "C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

Not sure, but I think Vista is the same as XP. You can't hurt anything by trying.

For Linux, Unix, or Mac OS X place this file at "/etc/hosts"

For Macintosh (pre OS X) place it in the Mac System Folder or Preferences
folder and reboot. (something like HD:System Folder:Preferences:Hosts)

Be sure the file is named hosts and not host.txt or host.doc. Check the actual filename, as Windows hides the extensions unless you have your computer configured to show the extensions.

If your hosts file already exists, just add the line of text to it anywhere within the file. If it doesn't exist, create a new hosts file and save it to your hard drive in the location listed above.

All pages on mstrc.net will now load quickly.

Hopefully Verwayne can sort out the issues with contextweb.com or switch ad content providers so this workaround isn't needed. But for now, it is needed and it's a simple and easy fix and works with all browsers.

-Maurice

#11 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

OK, for us computer dumies, were does this file go and how do I create it?

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#12 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (governor @ Jan 10 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, for us computer dumies, were does this file go and how do I create it?

My previous message explained it, Dan.

I'm going to assume you are using Windows XP. I don't, but you probably do.

So, don't load up the usual Word program. Use Notepad. You want a simple text editor. Click on "Start" and then look in the "Accessories" menu for Notepad.

Now, try and open a file called "hosts". It might already exist on your system, but maybe not.
From the drop-down menu, select "open". Then navigate through your folders or subdirectories whichever you prefer to call them to the file and see if you can find it. Navigate to:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

You might have to change the file filter drop down box from “Text Documents (*.txt)” to “All Files (*.*)“ or only .txt files will show in the display.

Anyway, see if the hosts file exists there. If it does, load it into Notepad. If it's not there, then just exit out of the file browser and back to Notepad and you will create a new file. Whether you have loaded the hosts file or you are creating a new one, type in the following on a line all by itself:

0.0.0.0 tag.contextweb.com

Then save the file. You will either resave the file and overwrite the existing hosts file or you will save a new file called "hosts" in the directory where I told you above to look for it.

If you goof something up or save the file in the wrong location, it won't hurt anything, but you won't gain anything, either.

Just make sure that the file is saved with the name "hosts" and not "hosts.txt". If you have to, rename the file after saving it. It must be called "hosts".

If you are using Windows Vista, then you have to use administrator privileges to modify the hosts file. Do the following if you use Vista:

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
Right click Notepad and select “Run as Administrator“
On Notepad click on File -> Open
Browse to “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc“
Change the file filter drop down box from “Text Documents (*.txt)” to “All Files (*.*)“
Select file hosts and click on Open
Add the following on a line all by itself: 0.0.0.0 tag.contextweb.com
Save the file.

-Maurice

#13 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Thanks,

That walk thu is what I needed.

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#14 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Today, I convinced Verwayne that the ads that appear at the bottom of most pages here on MSTRC need to be destroyed. Previously, the main problem with the ads is how slow they are to load and that made MSTRC load slowly. You couldn't do anything until the page completely loaded and if the ad is holding things up, you had to wait. Sometimes they were quick and sometimes they were slow.

But, lately, they've been worse. The ads have been doing naughty things and we don't need that here. They are gone now.

-Maurice

#15 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

I have Firefox and it works fine...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users