Michigan Short Track Racing Club: In The Age of FB, Is A Website Worth Having? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In The Age of FB, Is A Website Worth Having?

#1 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

No drama, just a question. Some things have unexpectedly fallen my way (not money, that's for darn sure!) and an opportunity that I would have killed to get ten years ago has opened. My question stems from the lack of participation here vs the constant stream of posts on racing I see on FB by members that I know are members here. This new situation would be quite 'labor intensive' and judging by the response or lack thereof I see here, I'm about 90% sure it wouldn't be worth doing under the current mind set.

I'm seriously looking for thoughts, and obviously it would be on and about racing. Doing anything on FB and YouTube makes a lot of money for Zuckerburg and Google but nothing to help defray the expenses of the person doing the work. The nice people over on YT wanted to fine me $500 because I caught the last four seconds of the National Anthem being sung by some famous group. Thanks for your time.
* You can't have courage unless you know fear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Negative people have a problem with every solution.-----------------------------

Check out my books over on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/mul2t5v

#2 User is offline   DRTmotorsports Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

This place will pick up when we start getting closer to race season. I know it will. To just close a website like this up, and try to revive it, at a different address even, it is going to take time. Race season will help. People like myself, Big Ed, and a few others just need to get things going again. I am honestly just kind of burned out with racing in general right now. But, we will be green flag racing at Spartan Speedway in 103 days from now, so it will not be much longer before we all get the bug again.

I am growing to hate facebook more every day. If it was not for the pages that I help maintain, I would not be on there any more. I do think an MSTRC facebook page could really help support this site though.
Duane Turner
Morrice, MI

#3 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Hi Duane. I hope all is well your way. I wasn't referring to this site, but it does bother me we aren't getting the traffic yet. I've found myself in position to do something else race related, but I'm not sure it would be worth the time and effort in the age of FB. Ten years ago, it was the thing to do. Now I'm not so sure. I've been talking with Ed anda couple others via email and PM's here. If you have something you want to do and need web space and such, drop me a note. Our servers aren't nearly busy enough!
V
bmoc66@gmail.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Negative people have a problem with every solution.-----------------------------

#4 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:racing

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Agree at least give it threw a season most racing stuff is dormant now
Bob Kaul
A full invert is always a good idea
Very Proud to be a Racing Bleacher Creature
MWG Bowl 2011 Fantasy Football Champion
2014 MARFC Fan Of The Year
2018Track Count
Tri City 3
[color="#9932CC"]Birch Run 1

#5 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hey Bob! See what I just said to Duane. Something kind of fell into my lap and I can't say much yet. Give me a couple weeks and then perhaps.

#6 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Just as a note, I have decided I won't be trying this other thing. I've talked to a couple people whose opinions I value and have decided it wouldn't be worth the time and effort it would cost me at this point in my life. A few years ago, it would have been great. At this exact point in time, it isn't something I can do.

#7 User is offline   lm9 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

thanks for getting this site going again. hopefully the traffic picks up enough as the season progresses.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users