Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Taking the plunge - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Taking the plunge

#1 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hello all! I've been reading the forum for a while as a guest and thought it was time to join and say hello! I want to start racing! (said outloud it brings to mind someone saying "hey ya'll, watch this!" ..you know somthing bad is gonna happen but it'll probably be fun to watch)

Specifically, I want to run the 1/2 mile at Toledo. I've been thinking about it since I was..oh..maybe 5 (44 now) and after getting a gift from my girls to drive a late model there this summer i want more. To run the big track i'll need a sportsman, but it seems a Toledo sportsman is an animal that only runs at Toledo unless i want to be a slow late model somewhere else.
Any and all ideas, thoughts, etc are welcome, except for telling me it's a stupid idea. (with a wife and 3 daughters I've heard that so many times over the years I'm imune..lol)

I'm looking for somthing to run and not be a total roadblock..i have no illusions of greatness and may even find that while turning laps is great, doing it while getting shoved and rubbed is not..I don't really know. ( but I want to find out!)

Thanks
Todd
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#2 User is offline   BYRDRACERS Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Go run Flat Rock Street Stocks.

#3 User is offline   JayTMotorsports Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

If you want to run Toledo. Kevin Stahl Jr. has a car that is both Flat Rock street stock and Toledo Sportsman legal. He's a fine fabircator and ran pretty well in the car as a Rookie at Toledo. But i agree with the previous post try running the small track at toledo or Flat Rock first to get a feel for it.

#4 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

flatrock might be an idea..but running with the savages in the pit at Toledo looks like an invitation to learning fab work fast! Plus..always wanted to run the big track
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#5 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

A front running Flat Rock A main street stock could run 9-15 at toledoe most nights. If the front runners pile up and you miss it could run top 5. Take it from someone who started driving at the rock this year after crewing for the last 30 its a hell of a lot easier to drive from the fence than it is to drive behind the wheel! Anything I can do to help get a hold of me. I can stear you in the right direction for help with parts, cars, Engines or what ever you need. Best advice I can give you is try and buy a front running complete car. Its the nickel and dime stuff that will run you broke. Sponsors, unless you are independantly wealthy you gotta have them!

#6 User is offline   enduro06 Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

instead of jumping right in and drowning i went and built an enduro car for the rock couple seasons ago..granted its not high flying but u still get the sense on what line to run where your throttle points are..its a blast, granted i have a motor to rebuild now but im glad i started with an enduro car, id rather mess that up learning then going out every week and have to repair a wrecked sportsman or even ss.

#7 User is offline   JayTMotorsports Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I agree it gets expensive very fast. Last time i wrecked my street stock it cost me $1800 just between the rack, nose piece and front end components and that was a light crash due to cars piling up and being idiots. You get in a wreck at Toledo and your talking a new chassis. The wall hurts everywhere but when your going that fast it destroys.

#8 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

What everybody is telling you is what makes sense I'm gonna tell you something different. If you want to run Sportsman or for that matter Outlaw Super on the 1/2 mile at Toledo, go ahead and do it. It's your money and you only live once. After years of working on street stocks and trying to race them when I was young and broke, I joined the Navy then after a few years over seas I came home well to Maryland where I was stationed at the time and started running 4 cylinder cars on dirt it was a lot of fun and cheap. Fast forward to me getting to be 34 years old and I decided to get a dirt Late Model, why??? Cause I'm not gonna race forever and I don't care if I never win, all the guys that win have backing and big families helping them, me well it's me and whatever kids from work that want to come over and drink beer in my garage. I've only race that car 2 times in the last 2 years but just the rush you get pulling out to start the Late Model feature is well beyond words. Especially if it's what you wanted to do all your life. No amount of racing in other series can make up for what you dreamed of. If you wanna jump off the deep end, and you might hate yourself at times for it but to achieve a dream.... You can't top it.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-1
(Tn) Volunteer Speedway-1
(Tn) Bristol Motor speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#9 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Rocky hit the feeling on the head...i don't care if i'm anywhere near the front as long as i'm there. Everyone else is right about costs, and I think it might have to get pushed back until i can do it half-way right. (maybe i can just show up at open practices and run just to do it, then mutter loudly "its still not right, lets take it home and work on it somemore!")
I'll admit i had no idea the real costs involved even if everything went right and all you needed to do was put new tires on it and go over it every week...anyone have a real-world cost on running at Toledo? Tires only good for one night? On the plus side I won't be very fast, but the chassis could be so bad i'm using tires up running 80% speed. Fuel? Pit passes and entry fees? (stupid reality) I do think if I ever want to do it I should do it, spending 1/2 the money I have on a street stock or such I'd end up going through money almost as fast and not be where I want to be. i'd have to be a lot better salesman than I am to talk myself into a ride! ( well no, I've never dome it, but I'm sure I'd be great for your team!..lol)
A car that could run flatrock SS and toledo sportsman would be great, but I don't think 2 nights a week is feasible with the family right now (heck, I KNOW its not) Of course, one really good wreck on the half-mile and that would be it. (at least I wouldn't have to take the plates off of it as i walked away!) Still looking and planning, but the best plan seems to be make alot more money to put aside to do this at whatever level.
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#10 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Todd, by the way welcome to the club.

I can't really comment on how much money it costs just to get the car out of the trailer at Toledo, cause I've never done it.

But I CAN tell ya that you can spend your whole life talkin' yourself out of your dreams. Be careful not to do that, our classified section on here is full of great deals and these guys can and will help you out. As far as to do things halfway right, that kind of depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Of course the more you buy put together say an entire car with a body on it already less Motor and trans is gonna cost a mess less all together but more up front than if you piecemeal it. BUT REMEMBER and Arnold is gonna come on here and say the same thing, look at 20 cars and buy the car at the race track and take it home after the race. if you don't, the previous owner will take all their shocks and springs out of it and put stuff that was just sitting around their shop into it. My Dad always says if you have the money , buy the fastest car at the racetrack.... Both are sound pieces of advice I'd say. Not that I listen always.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-1
(Tn) Volunteer Speedway-1
(Tn) Bristol Motor speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#11 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:Driving and Building Race cars.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

todd we think its great that you are getting into racing,,I have helped lots of OLD guys get started and helped them run good.

so here are some questions you must answer,,,,

Can you fabricate things out of Metal?

Can you weld?

do you have a welder?

do you have someone you can pay to weld?

Do you have a caster camber gauge?

Have youever set caster?

have you ever set camber?

have you ever set toe?

Have you ever set stagger/

Have you ever set wedge?

Have you ever set the panhard bar adjustment?

have you ever set the sway bar?

do you know how to work on Holley carbs?

have you ever set the lash on an engine?

waht books have you bought on setting up a racing chassis?

buy this book and dvd,,,,NOW.

http://ssapubl.com/p...aspx?nbr=PAVPKG

#12 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Paved Track Stock Car Technology

By: Steve Smith
A complete informative guide to preparing a stock car for paved track competition. Practical information you can use to make your car faster, more reliable, & more competitive. Full of bold graphics & drawings, along with over 300 photos & illustrations. Useful for every class of paved stock car. 176 pages.
Step-by-step chassis set-up & alignment
Front suspension and steering
Rear suspension systems & driveline
Selecting springs & shocks
Adjusting the car to track conditions
Chassis tuning with shock absorbers
Scaling the car & adjusting the weight
Competitive braking systems
Tires & wheels
Includes road racing chassis setups too

SPECIAL PACKAGE: Buy both the S239 book and V279 video together for only $62.95.
$29.95
Add to cartProduct Number: S239
Media: Book

http://ssapubl.com/p...t.aspx?nbr=S239

#13 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Ok...really gonna call me out in front of all the guys?!! :rolleyes:
Aside from owning a welder..assume no to all of the above. My skills are in woodworking and not metal unfortunately. I can fix things if I have a book or Alot of time, but I do not have the natural mechanical inclination that some people posses. I guess what I bring to racing is 1: a little money, 2: I can steer things 3: I really like it. I take it from your questions that there may be more to it than that? :biggrin:

I've actually looked into that book, and was thinking about books that may be available on my drive to work today. The way my brain works, if you show me I may understand, but if I can read it I can get it. I really need to get together with some people actually doing it around here and get the knowledge..another one of the reasons I joined the site. My new neighbor raced late models at Toledo but retired in 73 I think, so his info is a little dated.

Any and all info is welcome, and I assume there are people that are looking at this thread like I was that aren't registered or participating but have the same questions.

I know that in woodworking, shops and groups have workshops and instructional classes to get people into the hobby, I wonder how many people that follow racing would like to know more or get into it but just aren't in contact with anyone in the know. Have any tracks tried getting people involved like that? Would it just be a waste?
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#14 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Great,, I have helped old guys who knew much less and they learned it all. Buy the book. NOw!!!

#15 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Also you need to join a race team and help them work on their car over the winter,,,what town do you live in??

#16 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Posttricknology, on 22 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Also you need to join a race team and help them work on their car over the winter,,,what town do you live in??

Sylvania, OH (well, close enough)

BTW...old guy? heck, I'm barely growed up!
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#17 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

lots of teams are with in a hours drive of your house.

these guys/gals are cool racing at winchester in a Dodge Neon on the 1/2 mile with 31 degrees banking at 103 mph! and CHEAP!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Epr8GfS_lwo

http://vctsracing.com/

#18 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostSawmill, on 23 October 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Sylvania, OH (well, close enough)

BTW...old guy? heck, I'm barely growed up!

If your over 18, you are and old guy according to NASCAR team owners. ps I am about 60, and still build and drive stock cars.

#19 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

View Posttricknology, on 22 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

If your over 18, you are and old guy according to NASCAR team owners. ps I am about 60, and still build and drive stock cars.

I'd have started sooner, but I was born below my means! I blame my younger siblings
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

#20 User is offline   Sawmill Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostSawmill, on 22 October 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'd have started sooner, but I was born below my means! I blame my younger siblings

OK..books have shipped...when do i get to go fast?!
Todd
Flatrock SS #86

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users