Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Berlin please help! - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Berlin please help!

#1 User is offline   SJK Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I understand that Berlin has alot of money putting this show on and I thank you for it! but $20 for Thursday and $30 for Friday and $40 for Saturday and now a $30 per night transponder fee equals $120 per night!! If you bring in 2 crew guys for 3 nights its $180 for a total of $300!! You will have to make the show both nights to break even!! This might keep alot of racers away!! Let the front gate help with this cost please!!

#2 User is offline   fastforward Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostSJK, on 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

I understand that Berlin has alot of money putting this show on and I thank you for it! but $20 for Thursday and $30 for Friday and $40 for Saturday and now a $30 per night transponder fee equals $120 per night!! If you bring in 2 crew guys for 3 nights its $180 for a total of $300!! You will have to make the show both nights to break even!! This might keep alot of racers away!! Let the front gate help with this cost please!!

This is one of the major problems with the asphalt scene. Even though this is a "dirt" show, it is still being managed like an asphalt track or an asphalt race. The owner/promotors salivate at the opportunity to hijack the backgate and take all they can at these multi day shows. These outrageous pit pass prices coupled with all these other ridiculous fees end up killing car counts and ultimately the tracks.

Not sure if the tracks will GET IT before it's too late...

Good luck.

#3 User is offline   SJK Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

I agree fastforword!!! Will they ever get it!

#4 User is offline   mod4 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:Racing and Hockey

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

Well said FastForward!!
Hodgeson Motorsports

#5 User is offline   BigEd Icon

• Get your "Backside Trackside"!!!!!
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:Auto Racing, Bowling, Talking, sports in general

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

I knew this thread would be started as soon as they announced they were going to do this.

The money that it takes to do what they are doing is ridiculous. There are so many other areas that this money would be better spent, and would genuinely HELP our sport, I don't think this does a thing for our sport. The kind of ASPHALT show that could be run for the amount that it takes to make Berlin a dirt track for a weekend would be spectacular.

Let's be realistic, they are spending a small fortune to turn an asphalt track into a "temporary" dirt track. Temporary. We already have dirt tracks. This is nothing new. Your spending all this money to temporarily change something drastically. It's almost like your doing this just to say you did, and now look at the cost being passed down to all the fans and drivers.

I applaud your efforts, but question the idea.
Spartan Speedway Announcer since 2003
Owosso Speedway Announcer 1999-2002, then 2014 till ???

#6 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think it does one big thing for Berlin Raceway. It gets them publicity and thatís what this is all about. Since this show has been announced I have heard more about Berlin Raceway than I have in years.
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are things that I believe that I will never say, but I shall never say the things that I do not believe.

#7 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ed, I agree with you for the most part... except that if Berlin put on a huge asphalt race, they'd still have less excitement than just putting the dirt down (and that's not even talking about the racing). I've seen more pictures of dump trucks on the track at berlin than I've seen latemodels.

You (we) are lucky in that Spartan is a rarity because it has exciting pavement racing, most everyplace else could have a $100,000 to win pavement race and it would be a snoozer. Also just as ratracer said, World Racing Group events command a lot of press.

I say, leave it clay!
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

IMCA @ Tri City Speedway August 31st
Boone Supernationals September 4-8
Crystal Motor Speedway Sept 15-16
I-96 Speedway Sept 22-23
Outlaw Speedway (Dundee, NY) October 19-20

Follow @highinthedirt on Twitter and Instagram!

Follow me on Facebook!

#8 User is offline   Brad Skusa Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostGavinHunyady187, on 18 September 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Ed, I agree with you for the most part... except that if Berlin put on a huge asphalt race, they'd still have less excitement than just putting the dirt down (and that's not even talking about the racing). I've seen more pictures of dump trucks on the track at berlin than I've seen latemodels.

You (we) are lucky in that Spartan is a rarity because it has exciting pavement racing, most everyplace else could have a $100,000 to win pavement race and it would be a snoozer. Also just as ratracer said, World Racing Group events command a lot of press.

I say, leave it clay!

Not sure if you have been to Kalamazoo at all this year? Or Owosso for a great SLM and CRA Finish?

Dirt races are still snoozers as well.

#9 User is offline   mod911 Icon

• mod911
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I agree, I went to one dirt race this year and left before the features started. A LOT of cars spun out QUALIFYING and could not keep it pointed correctly when they were alone on the track. Having 200 snot welded junk cars with smoking motors is not exciting to me. It sounds exciting ONLY because they are wide open all the way around the track and even a junk ass claimer motor makes plenty of noise and kids love the noise,the racing was not so hot. NO one passed no one in several heats and half the cars dropped out or were towed off causing yellows.

Lets not confuse the leader lapping the back runners who are 2 or 3 wide sliding all over as 4 wide racing. Most tar tracks have mostly quality cars that look beautiful and do not smoke and break down on the parade lap.

#10 User is offline   Comet Toes Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

View Postmod911, on 18 September 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I agree, I went to one dirt race this year and left before the features started. A LOT of cars spun out QUALIFYING and could not keep it pointed correctly when they were alone on the track. Having 200 snot welded junk cars with smoking motors is not exciting to me. It sounds exciting ONLY because they are wide open all the way around the track and even a junk ass claimer motor makes plenty of noise and kids love the noise,the racing was not so hot. NO one passed no one in several heats and half the cars dropped out or were towed off causing yellows.

Lets not confuse the leader lapping the back runners who are 2 or 3 wide sliding all over as 4 wide racing. Most tar tracks have mostly quality cars that look beautiful and do not smoke and break down on the parade lap.

#11 User is offline   Comet Toes Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

:-( :-( Simple answer if you planned to go, abort your plan!! gonna rainout anyway.10-4

#12 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostBrad Skusa, on 18 September 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Not sure if you have been to Kalamazoo at all this year? Or Owosso for a great SLM and CRA Finish?

Dirt races are still snoozers as well.

I'm not interested in rich kids racing 400hp latemodels out of semi trucks, if they were all young blue collar racers like David McManus and Kyle Hayden I might be interested.

View Postmod911, on 18 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

You never did say how that sprint car race was, I heard it was a decent one, but maybe you didnt watch it... ah well.
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

IMCA @ Tri City Speedway August 31st
Boone Supernationals September 4-8
Crystal Motor Speedway Sept 15-16
I-96 Speedway Sept 22-23
Outlaw Speedway (Dundee, NY) October 19-20

Follow @highinthedirt on Twitter and Instagram!

Follow me on Facebook!

#13 User is offline   mod73 Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think there pricing is way out of line I was going to go with my mod but no way i could race 3 more nites for the cost of 1 nite there As for snoozer races bye far pavement wins that contest And Dick go to a non claim racetrack you will see different results Ive seen your car smokin before when it was shiny and new :biggrin:

#14 User is offline   ratracer49 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I to have crossed over and went to one race on the other side this year and it was at Berlin. All I am going to comment on it for now is I did not feel the need to go to back again until this dirt race.

I intentionally left the dirt vs. asphalt crap out of my first post because I don't see the point of bickering over a person's preference. It's kind of like two hotrod guys arguing over Ford vs. Chevy and claiming the other is crap. Some people can separate their personal preferences and appreciate they are both nice hot rods others can't.

There are defiantly two different types of mentalities to asphalt and dirt racing. My mind set tends to draw me to the dirt more often than asphalt, but I'm not so bitter that I can't appreciate both kinds of racing.
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are things that I believe that I will never say, but I shall never say the things that I do not believe.

#15 User is offline   BigEd Icon

• Get your "Backside Trackside"!!!!!
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:Auto Racing, Bowling, Talking, sports in general

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostComet Toes, on 18 September 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

:-( :-( Simple answer if you planned to go, abort your plan!! gonna rainout anyway.10-4

And this brings up a another scenario.

What do they do if it does rain out?? What if it can't be rescheduled?

My mind is racing with the possible financial nightmare that this could turn into.
Spartan Speedway Announcer since 2003
Owosso Speedway Announcer 1999-2002, then 2014 till ???

#16 User is offline   racer6 Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

According to the initial post it will cost a team $300 to race for 2 nights including transponder fee and 2 crew members.
According to the pay schedule for mods the features pay $1500 to win $200 to start and Berlin is paying $40 tow money. That's a chance to more than break even. How bad do you want to race?
You will be running with a premiere series and the prices are inline with Speedweeks in Florida.
Give Berlin a break, they are trying something spectacular and in fact I have read here many times about how great dirt is and this track or that should be turned into dirt. Okay, here ya go!
Kudos to Berlin!!!

#17 User is offline   TRACK ANNOUNCER Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postracer6, on 18 September 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

According to the initial post it will cost a team $300 to race for 2 nights including transponder fee and 2 crew members.
According to the pay schedule for mods the features pay $1500 to win $200 to start and Berlin is paying $40 tow money. That's a chance to more than break even. How bad do you want to race?
You will be running with a premiere series and the prices are inline with Speedweeks in Florida.
Give Berlin a break, they are trying something spectacular and in fact I have read here many times about how great dirt is and this track or that should be turned into dirt. Okay, here ya go!
Kudos to Berlin!!!

All to often, when opportunity knocks on the door, some folks think of it as annoying. Here we have a raceway that is thinking outside the box. I LIKE THAT!!! After all, the way many promoters are thinking with INSIDE the box thinking.... we all can see that has not done all that well either.

Is this idea a half empty glass or a half full one? To me it is a half full one. The sport of dirt track racing may be exposed to potential new race fans. God knows we could use a few more of those.

#18 User is offline   MikeF Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I like what Berlin is doing and I might make the trip over. They are thinking outside the box and promoting for races for race fans and not a demolition night or some other gimmick event. I understand those events are what brings people in nowdays but its not something I would go to.

#19 User is offline   Rocky Icon

• Filthy Sailor
  • Icon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

Now,when you say "premier racing series" is it really a series? There's only like 6 or 7 guys that actually follow the whole thing. It isn't like the CRA Super Series or PASS south series with 20 or 30 teams running the whole thing. Plus this running head long against Brownstown almost promises a weak car count.I'm thinking 40 late models will show up. Lucas oil only drew 25 at VMS last weekend for 20 thousand to win.

I like the idea it takes guts and what not but to me, if you can't run a show like that in one night with Late Models only and MAYBE modifieds without losing your arse, you shouldn't do it.

I honestly wish the Sawyers would drop the Commonwealth 100 and or the USA 100 or switch one to a 10k to win steel block late model race, they'd pull 75 cars. But thats my track in Virginia where I wish I was so, good luck to Berlin and all the Michigan drivers, it can be done Jamie the Jet Lathroum held off bloomer for 20k just last week in the Tidewater.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-1
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-1
(Tn) Volunteer Speedway-1
(Tn) Bristol Motor speedway-1

Lifetime Total 36 tracks in 10 states. Please, please, please don't let it rain on Saturday anymore this season.

#20 User is offline   Berlin Raceway Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Breaking news!!!!!! Berlin Raceway

Thanks everyone for talking about this huge event!!! Let's pack them in!

Thanks,
Berlin Raceway

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users