• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP MSTRC

#1 User is offline   speedracer_d_1 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'm very saddened to hear Chuck announce tonight that the MSTRC bowling tournament and the club itself is shutting down. I've made many friendships on this club and watched racetracks be saved and series be formed here.
Let's all resolve to use social media and the Internet to further short track racing and not harm it.
Before this place shuts down, feel free to visit me in the B Main at Tri City Motor Speedway on Friday nights or on facebook at Don Colbath or Apex Motorsports Company.
Signing off.. Speedracer_d_1@
2012 Track Count:
Kalamazoo Speedway (3), Springport Motor Speedway (1), Tri-City Motor Speedway (20), Mt Pleasant Speedway (2), Spartan Speedway (2), Dixie Motor Speedway (1), Crystal Motor Speedway (9), Owosso Speedway (5), Whittemore Speedway (3),Auto City Speedway (1),Owendale Speedway (1), Mother Nature (5.5)

#2 User is offline   MSTRC_CEO88 Icon

• "The Flounder"
  • Icon
  • Interests:local short track auto racing,sim racing

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Don!

It's been a fun ride...

First off I would like to thank everyone that came out and attended and donated to the 13th MSTRC Bowling Tournament. Once again we proved that the racing community really steps up to help out their own! What started as an idea for a gathering during the off season between Matt Prieur and Big Ed and then myself turned into one awesome event!After doing this for so many years though I feel we have reached a point where the tournament has lost some of its luster. Part of that is the lack of input on MSTRC and part is some(not those currently battling health issues!) recipients who have not come back after their nominations.While myself and the other members of the tournament committee enjoy doing it and helping out,we feel that we have done all we can do to make it grow and will be calling the 2016 edition the final curtain call. A huge thank you to everyone that has bowled,donated,or just came to spectate over the last 13 years! A huge thanks to Capitol Bowl for being our host for the last 9 years! Special thanks go out to Ed and Matt who started the "Ball rolling" and Linda Inloes,Elaine Crosby,Sue Woolworth and Ann VanDuesen for their help with the raffle table and the tournament,as well as Dan and Deb Loughan and most recently Brian Howey for their help in scoring. Thanks to Garret "Hell Yeah!" Smith for sanpping pics the last couple of years!Thank you to Larry Loynes for being our "Master of Ceremonies" doing the raffle announcements! A tip of the cap to Jack Oakley for keeping us entertained with his dvd collection too! Also thank you to Matt Schindewolf and The Basement Dawgs as well as Ray Simpson and Three Wheel Drive for providing the music!Big thanks and a world famous Chuck Darling "Standing O" to Mom Flounder for her support and providing the Spirit Award each year! And of course my lovely wife Brenda for her behind the scenes love and support!

With the ending of the MSTRC Bowling Tournament also comes the decision to end the MSTRC forum. And no,I will never lose the nickname "Flounder" as I will always carry that name with pride! The MSTRC has been a great way to interact with so many racers,fans and promoters and follow all the latest in Michigan racing,but Facebook has really taken the life out of the old girl. That,and we have also had our fair share of controversies. The people behind the scenes of MSTRC have got real life to deal with and don't have the time we used to in order to make it what it once was. Our hope is that whatever form of social media you choose to use you do so with thinking before hitting the enter button and try to promote the positives in local racing #powerofpositivity

I want to thank several people for getting MSTRC from the Yahoo boards to our own dedicated site. James Prevo,Verwayne Greenhoe,Maurice Randall and Chris and Lin Throgmartin. Also a big thank you to the ones that were admins of MSTRC: Dale Weaver,Gavin Hunyady,Mike McPherson,Scott Rubelman,James Prevo,"Flipper" Trinklein and Big V!
Never did I think back in 1999 that this little message board would lead to so many great friendships and opportunities in local racing. I have so many memories of things that have been said and done through this club but the three that stand out are Bill Long's continuous asking about doing a car show on the old Yahoo group,being told I would not amount to anything by someone using the screenname "Loosenutz",and not being welcome at Dixie for the longest time due to the Factory Stock drivers "strike" back in the day. From those to being part of the "Voices of Summer" and calling the MCR Series and Midwest Mini Cup Championship my announcing gigs,I'd say I and the MSTRC have come a long ways in honoring my dad and family through racing!

Before we shut the lights out and close the door for good, I'd like to hear and see memories that everyone has of the MSTRC as we say goodbye to the "Little Club that Could". So head over to mstrc.net,or if you forgot your login info go to Facebook and share your memories on my page.

Your friend in racing,
Chuck "The Flounder" Darling
Chuck " The Flounder" Darling

Common sense is not so common anymore!- Me
I can't control stupidity...it's everywhere!- Me

Sometimes you just have to drive it. You don't ask, you just drive. If you want to make excuses for not being successful you can do that, or you can just go out there and put it all on the line for the win. Brad Keselowski

Talent can make you fast,but it takes brains to be a champion-Tony Stewart

#3 User is offline   FanInTheStands Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

Don't know what to say besides "bummer." I have really enjoyed this place the last few years, and have tried to make contributions when I felt I had something to say. Sometimes that hasn't been often, since I am not an active racer, but just, well, a fan in the stands.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone, especially those with health issues. Your efforts have made my life, and that of many others, more interesting. You will all be missed.

I'm looking forward to spring and getting back in the stands, although now I know I won't have the background I've enjoyed in the past.

Good racing, everyone!

FanInTheStands

#4 User is offline   ArmondHolley55 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

Have enjoyed this Forum for many years. Thank You to those that have provided it and given us an opportunity to make so many new friends.

#5 User is offline   superbeetle Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:racing -football-basketball-baseball

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

so sorry to here this enjoyed this forum very much. good luck to all and thank you.

#6 User is offline   racer6 Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear this site is closing. I enjoyed reading the different comments and opinions. Any other sites out there for Michigan area racing info and forums?

#7 User is offline   kaycorbgm Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

I have made many friends over the 14 years here on the club.
The first time meeting everyone was the "Clean Up Day at Owosso Speedway". It was the beginning of the GOOD things we have done over the years.

The MSTRC Bowling Tournament was so much fun every year and it made our hearts happy to help some of our racing families in need.

I will see you all around the tracks during the summer and we will have to have a "Reunion" Day now and again!!

Elaine

#8 User is offline   racer72 Icon

• Icon

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

damn, I guess its time I learn to navigate fb. I really don't like fb. THANK YOU SO MUCH for providing mstrc. I've enjoyed the heck out of it since 2006. Now i'll only look at weather and nascar. I wish everyone here the best moving forward. I'm at a loss for words. I really miss this. Thanks again.
Bernie explains how to pay for his proposals. https://www.youtube....h?v=5brgT0FWrSM
Gun Control you say? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K13HdTsW_E0
taking the name of the LORD in vain http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8eV0OipvkZE
10-29-12 United States of ALEC http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IyTU9RbOEJo
new 10-25-12 watch and decide who IS THE REAL FRAUD http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gT77qP2Nai8
added 1-22-12 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-AAsQR8I4Es Koch Bros.
http://www.linktv.or...-party#comments
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QgBDeb28pe0

Use your own critical thinking skills and decide for yourself
Curt Olar

#9 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:racing

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Sad to hear this news this place has been a great place to find out information and learn about local racing but guess it has to end some time thank you to chuck Big v and the others that have made this board what it was it will be sorley missed
Bob Kaul
A full invert is always a good idea
Very Proud to be a Racing Bleacher Creature
MWG Bowl 2011 Fantasy Football Champion
2014 MARFC Fan Of The Year
2018Track Count
Tri City 16
Birch Run 2
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Whittemore 2
Silver Bulliett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#00FF00"]

#10 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Senior Administrator

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I'm writing this for my father, Verwayne. Dad finally got the heart surgery he so desperately needed February 3rd and struggled coming out of the coma for almost four days. He was on a heart/lung by pass machine for an extraordinarily long time. He apparently had a stroke during this struggle and has a decidedly left side weakness right now. He was told to expect a six day hospitalization but is in his eleventh day now. Since the two weeks leading up to the surgery, Dad has lost 38 pounds and is very weak. He has a clot in his left carotid artery and a lot of fluid on his heart. They replaced his old aortic heart valve and fixed 11" of ascending aortic artery that had developed a huge aneurysm or like a bubble on a radiator hose. He was told going into the surgery that this was extremely dangerous but nothing was going to back him away from his only chance to live.

I spent some time with him today and told him about this post and he was deeply emotional about these things. He said that he knew it was coming after talks with Chuck (?) but said that this loss was as painful as his surgery. I rather suspect you'll not be seeing him at any tracks this summer or maybe ever. After 23 years of working at Crystal Motor Speedway, he has promised my mother that he is done with everything outside of family life. I don't know if any of you can understand what having to give up everything that had meant anything to him means but I think he also knows he has reached that point in time that he is no longer capable of doing any of those things again as he is today. Dad is pretty depressed right now. Drop him an email at bmoc66@gmail.com if you have the time.
Thank you,
Skip
* You can't have courage unless you know fear.

Negative people have a problem with every solution.

*Never surrender your reason to your passion.

*Check out my books over on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/mul2t5v

#11 User is offline   Wilberj Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:37 AM

So you are going to shut down the forum and lose all the history that is here? Its sad to see it go but what would it take to keep it going? Could a new owner do it?

#12 User is offline   kaycorbgm Icon

• Icon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

Skip is he receiving visitors at the hospital? I was going to go up and see if he was but don't want to impose if he doesn't want any. I will just email him.
Thank you E

#13 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostMSTRC_CEO88, on 13 February 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

Thanks Don!
It has been a fun place to talk to other racers and to sometimes voice opinions. Not realizing the work and effort that you did from behind the seens let me personally Thank You now and apologize for any of my opions caused you problems. It has been a great place for short trackers to get together. Once again thank you for providing us this avenue.
It's been a fun ride...

First off I would like to thank everyone that came out and attended and donated to the 13th MSTRC Bowling Tournament. Once again we proved that the racing community really steps up to help out their own! What started as an idea for a gathering during the off season between Matt Prieur and Big Ed and then myself turned into one awesome event!After doing this for so many years though I feel we have reached a point where the tournament has lost some of its luster. Part of that is the lack of input on MSTRC and part is some(not those currently battling health issues!) recipients who have not come back after their nominations.While myself and the other members of the tournament committee enjoy doing it and helping out,we feel that we have done all we can do to make it grow and will be calling the 2016 edition the final curtain call. A huge thank you to everyone that has bowled,donated,or just came to spectate over the last 13 years! A huge thanks to Capitol Bowl for being our host for the last 9 years! Special thanks go out to Ed and Matt who started the "Ball rolling" and Linda Inloes,Elaine Crosby,Sue Woolworth and Ann VanDuesen for their help with the raffle table and the tournament,as well as Dan and Deb Loughan and most recently Brian Howey for their help in scoring. Thanks to Garret "Hell Yeah!" Smith for sanpping pics the last couple of years!Thank you to Larry Loynes for being our "Master of Ceremonies" doing the raffle announcements! A tip of the cap to Jack Oakley for keeping us entertained with his dvd collection too! Also thank you to Matt Schindewolf and The Basement Dawgs as well as Ray Simpson and Three Wheel Drive for providing the music!Big thanks and a world famous Chuck Darling "Standing O" to Mom Flounder for her support and providing the Spirit Award each year! And of course my lovely wife Brenda for her behind the scenes love and support!

With the ending of the MSTRC Bowling Tournament also comes the decision to end the MSTRC forum. And no,I will never lose the nickname "Flounder" as I will always carry that name with pride! The MSTRC has been a great way to interact with so many racers,fans and promoters and follow all the latest in Michigan racing,but Facebook has really taken the life out of the old girl. That,and we have also had our fair share of controversies. The people behind the scenes of MSTRC have got real life to deal with and don't have the time we used to in order to make it what it once was. Our hope is that whatever form of social media you choose to use you do so with thinking before hitting the enter button and try to promote the positives in local racing #powerofpositivity

I want to thank several people for getting MSTRC from the Yahoo boards to our own dedicated site. James Prevo,Verwayne Greenhoe,Maurice Randall and Chris and Lin Throgmartin. Also a big thank you to the ones that were admins of MSTRC: Dale Weaver,Gavin Hunyady,Mike McPherson,Scott Rubelman,James Prevo,"Flipper" Trinklein and Big V!
Never did I think back in 1999 that this little message board would lead to so many great friendships and opportunities in local racing. I have so many memories of things that have been said and done through this club but the three that stand out are Bill Long's continuous asking about doing a car show on the old Yahoo group,being told I would not amount to anything by someone using the screenname "Loosenutz",and not being welcome at Dixie for the longest time due to the Factory Stock drivers "strike" back in the day. From those to being part of the "Voices of Summer" and calling the MCR Series and Midwest Mini Cup Championship my announcing gigs,I'd say I and the MSTRC have come a long ways in honoring my dad and family through racing!

Before we shut the lights out and close the door for good, I'd like to hear and see memories that everyone has of the MSTRC as we say goodbye to the "Little Club that Could". So head over to mstrc.net,or if you forgot your login info go to Facebook and share your memories on my page.

Your friend in racing,
Chuck "The Flounder" Darling

#14 User is offline   rickyracer Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

Tell your dad we're all praying and thinking about him. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Rick Kilbourn

View PostVerwayne, on 15 February 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

I'm writing this for my father, Verwayne. Dad finally got the heart surgery he so desperately needed February 3rd and struggled coming out of the coma for almost four days. He was on a heart/lung by pass machine for an extraordinarily long time. He apparently had a stroke during this struggle and has a decidedly left side weakness right now. He was told to expect a six day hospitalization but is in his eleventh day now. Since the two weeks leading up to the surgery, Dad has lost 38 pounds and is very weak. He has a clot in his left carotid artery and a lot of fluid on his heart. They replaced his old aortic heart valve and fixed 11" of ascending aortic artery that had developed a huge aneurysm or like a bubble on a radiator hose. He was told going into the surgery that this was extremely dangerous but nothing was going to back him away from his only chance to live.

I spent some time with him today and told him about this post and he was deeply emotional about these things. He said that he knew it was coming after talks with Chuck (?) but said that this loss was as painful as his surgery. I rather suspect you'll not be seeing him at any tracks this summer or maybe ever. After 23 years of working at Crystal Motor Speedway, he has promised my mother that he is done with everything outside of family life. I don't know if any of you can understand what having to give up everything that had meant anything to him means but I think he also knows he has reached that point in time that he is no longer capable of doing any of those things again as he is today. Dad is pretty depressed right now. Drop him an email at bmoc66@gmail.com if you have the time.
Thank you,
Skip

#15 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

View Postkaycorbgm, on 15 February 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Skip is he receiving visitors at the hospital? I was going to go up and see if he was but don't want to impose if he doesn't want any. I will just email him.
Thank you E

Someone is bringing dad home right now. He will be on bed rest for another week and then about six weeks of cardiac rehab. His hands are very shaky right now and is having a hard time writing or typing. He actually came home early last week but they think he had the stoke while he was out and he was back within twelve hours for another six days.

#16 User is offline   Tony P Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

I Can't say that I'm surprised, but I am disappointed that this club will be going away. It seems that of late, the only conversations that got a lot of traction were related to Mods, and they never really stayed cordial, or on topic. There was a lot of sifting through the BS that had to take place in those conversations in order to see the good that we were all trying to do in our own way.

Flounder asked us to share some memories we have of the club, and my favorite thing about this club has been the people. When I first joined, I didn't really post much, but I read through almost every thread learning a lot about people and the atmosphere of racing all around the area. The longer I raced, the more often it seemed I would meet new people and start putting faces with screen names. Some of them I was surprised at how decent they were in person, after reading some of the negative things they would post on here. A lot of them I still consider my good friends to this day.

I will miss this site, because I feel like there are people who read/post here that don't get into the Facebook thing (Mike O), or some of the other social media sites and will miss out on the fun conversations about fabbed clips..haha.

Well wishes to all,

Tony P.

#17 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Tony you can add me to the list of those that don't do FB, so I too am going to miss the people that I got to know thru this club..A few I knew before, but many I became friends with over the past few years, and also like you was surprised to finally put faces to names. I probably was one of those that stirred the pot a little to often as far as the mods were concerned, but I never tried to turn it into a personal battle with anyone, like some do here.. Was just trying to keep an open conversation going as to how to keep building the mod scene up every year, when parts were getting harder to get..I still don't think Fab clips would be the end of the class, or even allowing fab lowers like UMP.. But that is just food for thought, a lot of the parts will be long gone someday and I hope someone has the foresight to make something work for the class.This site has a ton of great people on it and all in the right are class acts. I wish there was a way to bring this back to life, but it sounds like many of us are now going to go our separate ways.I for one am going to e-mail people here that I want to keep in touch with, since some of us old dogs don't really want to learn new tricks..This site has been a great melting pot and I hope I can meet everyone on here at some time. Let all pray for V and everybody good health and great season in 2016.
The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise

#18 User is offline   MSTRC_CEO88 Icon

• "The Flounder"
  • Icon
  • Interests:local short track auto racing,sim racing

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the words of kindness about this site folks. I have been approached about having this forum archived so that the old posts can be read as sort of a historical tribute. It's too bad we cant combine it with the old Yahoo and MSN discussions LOL

I think everyone that has access to this club needs to email V since he has been a longtime fixture of and driving force behind not just this site,but Races On the Web as well!
Chuck " The Flounder" Darling

Common sense is not so common anymore!- Me
I can't control stupidity...it's everywhere!- Me

Sometimes you just have to drive it. You don't ask, you just drive. If you want to make excuses for not being successful you can do that, or you can just go out there and put it all on the line for the win. Brad Keselowski

Talent can make you fast,but it takes brains to be a champion-Tony Stewart

#19 User is offline   Verwayne Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Thank you all. I am now home. Somehow in the transition, I lost my main cell phone, hopefully to be replaced by tomorrow. While I am very happy to be home, I am just plain dog tired and won't be up and moving much for a few days. I sent out a mass 'thank you' to all that emailed me but Bob Kaul, your email addy bounced back to me.
More later when I feel better.
THANK YOU ALL!
V

#20 User is offline   Mopar93 Icon

• Maurice Randall
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:Automobiles, computers.

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

A list of the top 100 posters of all time here on mstrc.net:

1 mrvids
2 BigEd
3 Verwayne
4 MaddMike
5 KCR87
6 Wood
7 schinde
8 KBM17g
9 stinkfist
10 Rocky
11 tricknology
12 MSTRC_CEO88
13 Mopar93
14 governor
15 pmcnamara
16 kaiserfan
17 racer72
18 saycheese
19 TT22KH
20 needforlatemodelspeed
21 MyOpinion
22 GavinHunyady187
23 Jay71
24 FlipperF17
25 circusracer
26 ljprevo
27 milegend45
28 russrace
29 w8rca
30 racnpartsales
31 kaycorbgm
32 mod4
33 Kevin 05
34 racinray75
35 Silverbullett2a
36 dirttalker
37 superpro
38 Bishop
39 Dennis ONeil
40 Keith
41 twoturnsofbar
42 racer98
43 BIGcheater
44 team80mi
45 cpracer
46 gonzo
47 OLDGOLD
48 welchracing
49 jhaydenX
50 nate
51 mod11
52 CLT
53 stribeckracing
54 cas11
55 kmaki18
56 pimpn8ntez06
57 BobKoorsen
58 circle8track
59 dayracing11
60 Icechips
61 firechild
62 Exit82
63 CaptainCam
64 53speeder
65 Greg
66 Gunner
67 superfast_86
68 flyinryan66
69 Grant Campau
70 Bone
71 53onthemove
72 fastforward
73 saycheese46703
74 grr456
75 snoverfac32
76 fastbruce
77 rj3331
78 brandon
79 Dynochick
80 Voice Over
81 wallbanger
82 TaBOGIE
83 Aaron Murphy
84 NickJ
85 PFD
86 ArmondHolley55
87 MERLE
88 speedracer_d_1
89 rjb
90 old84
91 zonatar
92 kermit2
93 DRTmotorsports
94 redflash
95 ratracer49
96 ckdflag
97 big_o_racing_25
98 fed-up
99 Drake Racing
100 indyrand

A good part of racing is all the friends you create.
A sad part of racing is all the enemies you create.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users