Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Building a 68' Chevelle - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building a 68' Chevelle 12 Bolt Disc Brake Conversion

#1 User is offline   Todd29 Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

This is a shot in the dark, but I thought I would start here. I'm building a 68' Chevelle with my 14 year old son, he has been "muscle car" crazed for the last couple years, so I figured it would be a good father/son project. I've never built anything for the street only circle track stuff for the last 25 years. Does anyone have any suggestions/kits regarding a disc brake conversion for the 12 bolt rear. Also, posi for it. Back when we ran street stocks, we had the metric stuff...nothing from this era.
I also have a 383 short block that has been sitting and need some aluminum heads...if there are any suggestions or parts under someone's bench. Please let me know...before I start searching the "hot rod" forums.
We are trying to do this as reasonable as as possible using alot of the race stuff sitting around or collected over the years.
Thanks, Todd

#2 User is offline   astromapaupus Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

We put disc brakes on our 12 bolt that we had in our street stock. We made a caliper bracket that bolted on at the end of the tube, I know I have seen some brackets like this on ebay as well. Then we just used a set of metric calipers and 10.5" slip on rotors from a 1979 Cadilac Eldorado. Then we put a 2 lb residual valve on the rear brake line to keep the movement in the rear axle from knocking the pucks in the calipers around too much. I believe we also had to turn down the diameter on the axle a bit so that the rotor would slip over it as well. We were able to do it all for pretty cheap.
Josh Hahn
#97 Dixie Pro Late Model

#3 User is offline   BadMoonRacing00 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Heres a start: http://www.summitrac...ng&autoview=SKU

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic