Michigan Short Track Racing Club: A few questions from a noob - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few questions from a noob

#1 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi new here have a few questions. Does anyone use the full size metric gm frames in paved street stock? If not what is the reasons, could they be made to work? Since the rules at flat rock are not published anywhere, what are the difference between owosso sportsman and flat rock street stock? I like the rules at owosso better from what I can tell but don't have all the rules to flat rock in front of me? Seems it wouldn't be hard to take a owosso car and make it legal at flat rock. Just would like to have options if I build a car. Thanks for your help Orin

#2 User is offline   BillyT Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I run a Caprice metric frame and love it. I can run the ford lowers on it and it has great roll center from the factory without changing a lot..

#3 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Driving and Building Race cars.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

yes a metric caprice chassis is good.

Do you plan on building or buying?

flat rock street stock info,, we have been building and racing SS at flat rock for decades.

http://www.mstrc.net...showtopic=41361

#4 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

read this about a guy we all helped get into racing at Flat Rock,,,

http://www.mstrc.net...12&hl=theo&st=0

#5 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have read both those threads there is lots of good tips in both of them. I have ordered the paved stock car tech and building a pro stock book, waiting for them to show up. I plan on building the car. I have plenty of mechanical and fabrication skills. I restore old cars for a living just looking for something fun to do in my spare time. What trans are allowed at flatrock. Auto and sticks or just autos. Thanks Orin

#6 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostOlitei, on 18 June 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

I have read both those threads there is lots of good tips in both of them. I have ordered the paved stock car tech and building a pro stock book, waiting for them to show up. I plan on building the car. I have plenty of mechanical and fabrication skills. I restore old cars for a living just looking for something fun to do in my spare time. What trans are allowed at flatrock. Auto and sticks or just autos. Thanks Orin

The rock allows sticks or auto. Stick steel flywheel 10.5 clutch blowproof belhousing auto anything goes. The only thing the rock has going for it is 3000 lb weight.

#7 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

How loose are the engine rules are aftermarket piston, rods and cranks allowed? What are the cam rules any vacuum or lift restriction, or as long as it's flat tappet it's ok. Also is anyone going to be running this Saturday? I'm going to be at flatrock bring my grandpa down he's 83 and he use to run around with Joy Fair, he has all kinds of crazy stories of him, Joy and Gillie. Would like to look at some of the cars to get some ideas and snap a few pictures if no one minds. Does a pit pass include access to the grandstands or do I have to buy one of each ticket? Thanks Orin

#8 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostOlitei, on 20 June 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

How loose are the engine rules are aftermarket piston, rods and cranks allowed? What are the cam rules any vacuum or lift restriction, or as long as it's flat tappet it's ok. Also is anyone going to be running this Saturday? I'm going to be at flatrock bring my grandpa down he's 83 and he use to run around with Joy Fair, he has all kinds of crazy stories of him, Joy and Gillie. Would like to look at some of the cars to get some ideas and snap a few pictures if no one minds. Does a pit pass include access to the grandstands or do I have to buy one of each ticket? Thanks Orin

Engines: flat top pistons any rod stock stroke any crank stock factory cast iron heads vortech allowed performer intake factory cast iron exhaust manifolds 2" exhaust pipes from 3 1/2 from manifold. No porting of anything any flat tappet cam roller rockers allowed. 4412 holley 2bbl. Pit pass is good for stands or pits. Most any of the street stock guys will talk to you. I will be down with the 4 and 76 cars name is Dan Doyle look me up

#9 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks I'll try and look you up when im down there hope the rain holds off. The exhaust rule I wasn't quite clear on the 3 1/2 part, know you have to run manifolds and 2" exhaust pipes but not clear on the 3 1/2 part thanks for all the help Orin Leitner

#10 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostOlitei, on 21 June 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Thanks I'll try and look you up when im down there hope the rain holds off. The exhaust rule I wasn't quite clear on the 3 1/2 part, know you have to run manifolds and 2" exhaust pipes but not clear on the 3 1/2 part thanks for all the help Orin Leitner
2" has to start no further than 3 1/2 inches from manifold.

#11 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Now I under stand thanks. What's the most popular style of manifold to run still a ram horn style? also If you run a a two into one is the single part allowed to be larger, or is only 2" duals? When you say stock stroke does it have to be stock stroke for the block or can it just be a stock stroke offered by gm? Could you for instance run a 283 block with a 400 crank would make a 360ci think the long stroke might be good for torque coming off the corners. Thanks again for the help just in the planning/research stage Orin

#12 User is offline   tricknology Icon

• Icon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

what town do you live in,,you could come to our shops and see our cars,,

#13 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I live Waterford. That would be great let me know when it would be a good tIme. Thanks Orin

#14 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostOlitei, on 27 June 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Now I under stand thanks. What's the most popular style of manifold to run still a ram horn style? also If you run a a two into one is the single part allowed to be larger, or is only 2" duals? When you say stock stroke does it have to be stock stroke for the block or can it just be a stock stroke offered by gm? Could you for instance run a 283 block with a 400 crank would make a 360ci think the long stroke might be good for torque coming off the corners. Thanks again for the help just in the planning/research stage Orin

Rams horn for sure. 2" max weather single or duals. Stock stroke but you best bet is to stay away from what might be considered trick. Good basic 350 with good internals is going to be cheapest and will make plenty of power. Biggest problem is getting it to hook on crappy tires. Ive got one guy running a 305 and runs top ten almost every night. Biggest expence is tires work on getting sponsor help.

#15 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

There are two cars for sale on Craigslist in metro detroit is anyone on here familiar with them are they good starting points or a waste of money. I know it's cheaper to buy a car than build one but I don't want to buy something that's junk or unsafe. Here's a link to one of the cars

http://detroit.craig...3845531563.html

#16 User is offline   Olitei Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Here's the link to the other one:

http://detroit.craig...3884416112.html

#17 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostOlitei, on 01 July 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Here's the link to the other one:

http://detroit.craig...3884416112.html

Ive raced against that 14 car seemed to handle good 1300.00 seems cheap I would lean towards that one.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users