Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Help a new guy building a pure stock for Silver Bullet - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help a new guy building a pure stock for Silver Bullet

#1 User is offline   wiggles Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker here for a long time but have finally decided this is the year I get off the bleachers and go racing for the first time. Silver Bullet is starting up a pure stock class this upcoming season, which is what I'd like to build a car to run. My purpose for this thread is to ask for some help in getting into racing and to gain some advice and knowledge as I get going with this project.

So that being said, my first question is if anybody has a guess as to a pure stock car count for next year at Silver Bullet? I fear building a car to race a 5 car class each week.

Now, regarding car choice... I've got a 78 2 door Olds Delta 88 stripped down in the barn right now. I was starting to build this as my next county fair figure 8 car, but have since changed my mind. This is a metric B-body, basically the same a metric Caprice as far as I can tell. My concern is how suitable of a candidate this is for a dirt pure stock. After a lot of reading on here, it seems they make decent asphalt pure stock cars for auto city. However, I'll be on dirt, and my rules state a 108" minimum wheelbase, which obviously allows 2nd gen Camaros. This Olds has a 116" wheelbase and being such a big car in general, I'm worried about its competitiveness. Being a complete rookie, I expect to be a backmarker for the first year or so, but I ultimately I would like to build a car capable of winning when my skills come up to par. Eventually if I want to move up to street stock, I would like the car to be capable competing at that level as well. This thread http://www.thedirtfo...TML/004781.html gives me some confidence, but I would like some advice before I commit to building. Any thoughts? OK car choice to build, or should I go find a metric monte?

I realize building a car is not advisable for a new guy. However, I've been searching and have had alot of trouble finding a decent pure stock to fit my needs. Plus I've got this car available and ready. I've got good fabrication skills, mechanical ability, and my own shop full of most equipment I need, so I feel a degree of confidence in building. My concern is that I lack the tips and tricks of building these types of cars. As I get going on this project, I would like to turn this into a bit of a build thread to source advice in building the car, as I am sure to have lots of questions.

Thanks in advance. Will

#2 User is offline   360mad Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

With the current economy, there are tons of good cars out there for sale, at good prices.
Building one is going to cost you 2 to 3 times as much, and take a lot longer than you imagine.
You'd be better off buying a used car and using the time you save getting it out there on the track.
At the very least, the used car will give you ideas of what someone else did when they built that car, and
you can find out what works and what doesn't.

#3 User is offline   Iouracing Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing and Hunting

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

I would be willing to tell you anything you want to know. I have been building race winning cars at Silver Bullet for a long time now and I am always willing to help new guys out.
Give me a call I'll see if i can help.
989-551-8108
Fred Dow
IOU Racing
Fred Dow Iou Racing #81

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users