Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Need mentors to help me get into racing - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need mentors to help me get into racing

#1 User is offline   HaulinDonkeys Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members
  • Interests:going fast, turning left.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

I had a long discussion with my wife last night, and she gave me the green light to start saving money to invest in starting a racing career. I laid out a plan that ultimately will come to having enough money to buy a cyber stock or mini stock to race at Kalamazoo Speedway starting in the 2015 season. I don't know ditaly about setting up a car, and I don't have any real world experience driving one (Think Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder). I am confident that I will be fast, and safe in a racing car though because I have turned thousands of laps in the virtual world. Racing on iracing.com has taught me how to run a proper line, braking points, cornering speeds, and much more that I know will transfer into the real world. I am ready to put that theory to the test.

What I need is some people to help me get started. Point me in the right direction, and show me the ropes. I have some minor experience working on cars, but it's just basic maintenance stuff, so I will need someone who knows what they are doing to guide me.

My ideal situation would to be to have a crew behind me that can turn the wrenches while I drive the car, and tell them what I need. I would help out whenever I can, so that I am not leaving the entire burden of maintaining the car on them. My other concern is that I lack tools, and a garage to work on the car. My plan is to either work out of someone elses shop, or rent a storage unit and work out of it. Just borrow and buy the tools I need along the way.

From reading the forums I see that the best way to make good connections is to help out with a current team. I would love to come help out at someones shop, show up on race days, offer whatever assistance I can, and ultimately do whatever it is I need to do in order to earn their assistance once I get my own car. I have done it once before for a guy that runs outlaws, but he dosent race at Kalamazoo very often. I've only been in his pit once which was last year, and he hasent even turned a lap anywhere this season yet.

A little about me. I was raised around the world of drag racing. My father was the general manager of Detroit Dragway, and took me to the track twice a week ever since I was 4 years old. The track ceased operations a couple months before I turned 16, and got a drivers license. As a result I feel like I have been screwed out of my calling. Like a driver without a wheel. Racing is in my blood thanks to all of the fumes I've breathed in, and now that I have the money I want to answer my calling before it's too late. Age wise I am 31 years old, so I have plenty of years ahead of me.

My only concern about racing is my race. I haven't had many problems going to races being a black man, and hopefully that will remain the same once I am on the other side of the fence. The only place I ever felt uncomfortable was when I went to M-40 Speedway a couple years ago. A lot of people looked at me weird, so I don't think I'll ever go back there.

Well anyway enough yapping for now. If anyone has any advice for me or wants to take me under their wings please get in contact with me. Once again my current plan is to buy a car as opposed to building one. I always work better with something that has already been established as opposed to working from scratch.

#2 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostHaulinDonkeys, on 11 June 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

I had a long discussion with my wife last night, and she gave me the green light to start saving money to invest in starting a racing career. I laid out a plan that ultimately will come to having enough money to buy a cyber stock or mini stock to race at Kalamazoo Speedway starting in the 2015 season.

Welcome!

From watching those GT Academy shows I think you will be surprised how well some of the "video" stuff translates to real life.

Anyway, I think your comment is correct about best thing is to get out to the track and talk to people.

While I am not close with any of the 4-cylinder teams, you are welcome to come hang out in my pit on any race night and we will find some time to get over there. I run every other weekend up at Springport. This weekend is a big show, and a pig roast in the pits after. There will be lots of folks to talk to - might not be a bad place to start (their 4 cylinder class is the sport stocks).

Another option is to look into Spartan's rental program for their Legends cars. They do the wrenching and you show up and race.

Feel free to PM me for any more details. Have a good day,
-Mike

#3 User is offline   HaulinDonkeys Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postfastbackss, on 12 June 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I run every other weekend up at Springport.

Another option is to look into Spartan's rental program for their Legends cars. They do the wrenching and you show up and race.

Feel free to PM me for any more details. Have a good day,
-Mike

Hey thanks for the response. I am busy this weekend with it being fathers day weekend and all, but I would love to take you up on that offer another time.

As for the rentals, I sent you a PM.

#4 User is offline   schinde Icon

• schinde
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Music, motorcycles and modifieds, in varied order dependent upon season.<br /><br />And of course, my grand daughter Kayleigh, who I intend to spoil. Some say I spoiled my daughter, I say bunk, I gave her what she earned, and what I could, and she has turned out very well, thank you.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Thinking you will find this a wonderful thing to do, as a hobby, or a passion, or an addiction, or as a pastime. Think about circle track racing like this.

A drag race on the local scale (comparison is the local short track world as opposed to Nascar) on a quarter mile strip is going straight, as fast as you can, most likely a few times in a day's worth of running, dependent upon the car, anywhere from 11 seconds to fourteen or fifteen.

A lap on a local quarter mile circle track, dependent upon the class of car you drive, is making two short drag races, and two turns per lap, anywhere from 40 to 60 times in a days worth of running, anywhere from around 13 seconds to say, seventeen for the pony stocks, (some reach into the 16's)

Not knocking drag racing at all, great sport, but more fun is had on a short track, as least from my perspective.

I can also tell you that there is no greater bunch of people than those found in the short track world. Run you hard on the track, give you no quarter and take away any change you give them, but, if you have a problem with your car, a wreck, need a part or a hand, they guy who was running you hard and stealing your change on the track will be there helping you repair your car so you can make the next race. Funny how that works, but it is more true than not.

A truly wonderful sport with wonderful people involved in it.

You will enjoy it.

Welcome.

have a good day,

schinde
Short track racing is more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!

#5 User is offline   HaulinDonkeys Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for those kind words schinde. I cant wait to start turning laps.

#6 User is offline   fastbruce Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Racin and drinkin

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostHaulinDonkeys, on 14 June 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

Thanks for those kind words schinde. I cant wait to start turning laps.

As a long time shoe string racer I say have fun and good luck, Do only what you can afford to do, don't borrow $$$ to race its easy to get caught up in the fever and keep jumping up classes, But there is so much you need learn just absorb all you can and keep having fun

#7 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Well if your Daddy was the manager of Detroit Dragway then your last name has to be Broden and I watched you grow up. My name is Danny Doyle and I used to be the "D" in K&D Performance. If you dont remember me ask your dad. I got out of drag racing in 1990 and went back to my first love of turning left. I now race a street stock at Flat Rock and build a lot of engines for other racers. You can call me at 313-623-9291 and I will help you in any way I can. Tell your parents and other family members I said hi!

#8 User is offline   HaulinDonkeys Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostDouble D, on 15 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Well if your Daddy was the manager of Detroit Dragway then your last name has to be Broden and I watched you grow up. My name is Danny Doyle and I used to be the "D" in K&D Performance. If you dont remember me ask your dad. I got out of drag racing in 1990 and went back to my first love of turning left. I now race a street stock at Flat Rock and build a lot of engines for other racers. You can call me at 313-623-9291 and I will help you in any way I can. Tell your parents and other family members I said hi!

My last name is Richardson. My dad did say he remembers you though. He said you used to drive a pinto? I wouldn't remember you though. I was only 8 back in 1990. Actually there are only a handful of racers I remember from the track. I still know most of the staff though.

#9 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostHaulinDonkeys, on 15 July 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

My last name is Richardson. My dad did say he remembers you though. He said you used to drive a pinto? I wouldn't remember you though. I was only 8 back in 1990. Actually there are only a handful of racers I remember from the track. I still know most of the staff though.

Well that being said I will try and help u any way I can. If your going to do the front wheel drive stuff i may know where there is a car and possible a place for you to work on it in your area. if I were you id make some trips to Mottville and check out there programs. It isnt a Kalamazoo caliber track but its a good place to learn, and a great place to get in a lot of laps plus Merle runs the show all the way to and sometimes into Nov. You got my number call me.

#10 User is offline   HaulinDonkeys Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostDouble D, on 15 July 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Well that being said I will try and help u any way I can. If your going to do the front wheel drive stuff i may know where there is a car and possible a place for you to work on it in your area. if I were you id make some trips to Mottville and check out there programs. It isnt a Kalamazoo caliber track but its a good place to learn, and a great place to get in a lot of laps plus Merle runs the show all the way to and sometimes into Nov. You got my number call me.

I'll give you a call later today :-) I am not looking to buy a car yet though, I only have a couple hundred dollars saved up thus far, and I don't have a means of transporting one to the track. I'm still waiting on Chrysler to send the recall notice for my Jeep so I can get a free trailer hitch.

As far as Mottville I have driven past that track several times when I was driving a semi. I used to run corn out of the Monsanto plant in Constantine. I'll go check out a race sometime this summer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users