Michigan Short Track Racing Club: CHERRY SPEEDWAY - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CHERRY SPEEDWAY

#1 User is offline   MERLE Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:RACING, BASEBALL

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

According to the Cherry Speedway web site the track is permanently closed. Patrick McNamara has learned that a neighbor purchased it and plans ot bull doze it.

#2 User is offline   old84 Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:going racing as much as possible and seeing new race tracks.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

I am sad to hear that. I read it on there website to. Hopefully we can stop the bleeding with these tracks closing down.
2015 race counter 57 races 20 tracks 4 states
tri city 14, merritt 8, berlin 5, crystal 5, oakshade 4, volusia speedway 3, new smyrna speedway 2, fremont 2, flat rock 2, Florence ky. 2, mt. pleasant 1, kalamazoo 1, daytona itnl. speedway 1, toledo 1, auto city 1, springport 1, i-96 1, dixie 1, whittemore 1, eldora 1.

lifetime total 126 tracks in 11 states.

#3 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:racing

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Roger Steig
29 mins

I have no reason to do this post there is nothing to gain or lose for me personally. Short track racing across the country is dying at a rapid pace. Having experienced it as a promoter, racer and fan of the sport I have come to the conclusion that we are our own worst enemy and face book that i am using right now to reach out to you does far more damage to the sport than good. It allows people that will not discuss any hate or discontent they might have to hide behind the scenes and rant. These face book warriors are the reason that i have chosen to sell Cherry Raceway so for the record you are the reason short track racing is dying and there is no more Cherry Raceway. I am only talking about a small percent of people that call them selves race fans. For the most part we have made many friends and most of our trouble makers only showed up at the track once and a great while or maybe not at all but yet bashed on me and my family and Cherry Raceway. I watched them do it to the prior owner and thought we could come in and make a difference. No chance so in the end a small percent ruins it for all.
To my friends and supporters of mine and Cherry Raceway I want to set the record straight. Threw the sale of Cherry Raceway I never spoke to Mr Batzer only his attorney. This was the deal I was paid to stay on as a consultant for one year. I was paid to not compete or own a race track for five years with in 100 miles of Cherry Raceway. He was insistent on buying all of the inventory and equipment. He bought all the property and bought the business. Mr Batzers was made aware by his attorney that I would not sell if his intent was to close because we bought the track 6 years ago to keep it from closing. After the sale was complete and done now Mr Batzer says its closed. Now you all know the whole story, good luck in your future racing. All I can say to my friends and race fans is sorry it turned out this way. As for you face book warriors go ahead and take your last shots at me, my family and Cherry Raceway you win track is closed you can move on to your next track and destroy it I know you will.
Bob Kaul
A full invert is always a good idea
Very Proud to be a Racing Bleacher Creature
MWG Bowl 2011 Fantasy Football Champion
2014 MARFC Fan Of The Year
2017Track Count
Tri City 15
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Mt Plesant 2
Whittemore 2
Birch Run 1
Silver Bullett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#000000"]

#4 User is offline   MSTRC_CEO88 Icon

• "The Flounder"
  • Icon
  • Interests:local short track auto racing,sim racing

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Sad to see,but he is spot on!
Chuck " The Flounder" Darling

Common sense is not so common anymore!- Me
I can't control stupidity...it's everywhere!- Me

Sometimes you just have to drive it. You don't ask, you just drive. If you want to make excuses for not being successful you can do that, or you can just go out there and put it all on the line for the win. Brad Keselowski

Talent can make you fast,but it takes brains to be a champion-Tony Stewart

#5 User is offline   fastforward Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yes a race track closing is sad to see. No... it is not spot on.

I have never seen a successful business owner sell their business because of "facebook warriors", as asserted by Mr. Steig. I've heard of many opinions, positive and negative on FB regarding short track racing and the many facilities. I've also seen many examples of the inappropriate use of FB, racing and non racing related, as many people seek attention and believe they are entitle to write anything, malicious or otherwise, just because the have a keyboard. With that being said...

What business is immune to criticism or negative reviews on Facebook or the internet in general?? The thought that any race track, owner, promoter, driver or fan is excused from internet condemnation is purely fantasy and lacking common sense. For some reason, some in the racing community believe that tracks should get a free pass on this... but why? Yeah, I understand they provide the playground for the racers, as well as the entertainment venue for the fans, but that does NOT entitle them to the aforementioned free pass. Believe it or not the track has customers they must satisfy in the grandstands and the pit area. When circumstances arise and people (grandstand and pit area) become displeased... they take to Facebook to tell their story. That is no different than me complaining of my order being wrong at Mcdonalds or my car breaking down too soon. You can't please everybody all the time... but you have to try.

I would presume you would have to have thick skin being in the race track owning/promoting business? So, those that are more thinly skinned may not be cut out for that position and it is their prerogative to sell their assets (for profit) but by all means do not blame the platform or your customers and their opinions for your tracks demise. I have seen tracks fail for various reasons with the most common being financial. If Facebook and its users are killing short track racing, EVERY track will soon close because no track is capable of sustaining criticism.

According to Mr. Steig, "Short track racing across the country is dying at a rapid pace". Is it because of track owners entering into bad deals with purchasers of their property, that in turn close down the facility? Whatever the reason for the death of short track racing, it simply cannot be blamed on the Facebook warriors.

#6 User is offline   BIGcheater Icon

• Icon

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

View Postfastforward, on 28 December 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have never seen a successful business owner sell their business because of "facebook warriors", as asserted by Mr. Steig. I've heard of many opinions, positive and negative on FB regarding short track racing and the many facilities. I've also seen many examples of the inappropriate use of FB, racing and non racing related, as many people seek attention and believe they are entitle to write anything, malicious or otherwise, just because the have a keyboard. With that being said...

What business is immune to criticism or negative reviews on Facebook or the internet in general?? The thought that any race track, owner, promoter, driver or fan is excused from internet condemnation is purely fantasy and lacking common sense. For some reason, some in the racing community believe that tracks should get a free pass on this... but why? Yeah, I understand they provide the playground for the racers, as well as the entertainment venue for the fans, but that does NOT entitle them to the aforementioned free pass. Believe it or not the track has customers they must satisfy in the grandstands and the pit area. When circumstances arise and people (grandstand and pit area) become displeased... they take to Facebook to tell their story. That is no different than me complaining of my order being wrong at Mcdonalds or my car breaking down too soon. You can't please everybody all the time... but you have to try.

I would presume you would have to have thick skin being in the race track owning/promoting business? So, those that are more thinly skinned may not be cut out for that position and it is their prerogative to sell their assets (for profit) but by all means do not blame the platform or your customers and their opinions for your tracks demise. I have seen tracks fail for various reasons with the most common being financial. If Facebook and its users are killing short track racing, EVERY track will soon close because no track is capable of sustaining criticism.

According to Mr. Steig, "Short track racing across the country is dying at a rapid pace". Is it because of track owners entering into bad deals with purchasers of their property, that in turn close down the facility? Whatever the reason for the death of short track racing, it simply cannot be blamed on the Facebook warriors.

Agree! Raced there one season. A lot more going on here than social media.
Roger Flickinger

BIGcheater Motorsports Dirt Street Stock

#7 User is offline   MERLE Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members
  • Interests:RACING, BASEBALL

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

View Postfastforward, on 28 December 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Having owned a short track for a full 25 years now (time sure does fly!) I agree to own and promote a race track you need very thick skin! Very thick as the average person would have no idea the amount of criticism you get! But if you love the sport (which I do!) it helps a ton and it also helps that I used to referee basketball and umpire baseball!
I would respectfully say that Facebook can help and hurt a track both.
But if you buy a track thinking everyone will love you, your are in for a major disappointment!

#8 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

http://www.9and10new...-raceway-closes
Bob Kaul
2017Track Count
Tri City 15
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Mt Plesant 2
Whittemore 2
Birch Run 1
Silver Bullett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#000000"]

#9 User is offline   mortified*26 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

As the owner of a speedway I believe Roger is spot on. We have chose to close Onaway not due to bad business decisions at all in fact it's paid for with no bills. We were tired of all the people who have no clue what it takes to put on a show on a Saturday night. We never intended on making money off the place in fact was happy if we only lost a little bit. The whole keyboard warrior thing get real old real fast. The worst part is it's usually the guys who don't have the money to compete or won't put the time in to win either. Instead of telling the promotor thanks they insist on bashing us. The fact is all of us take on huge financial obligations for people who don't appreciate a damn thing and for the most part will turn on you in a second. For all the racers who say they put time in to race try to run the place it took us 40 hours of work a week to put on a show and on top of that then not make money for doing it. When all of you have complaints try to remember that the guy paying you to put on a show may not be doing it for personal gain but for the true love of the sport. We like all tracke have not what I'll say a majority but a core group of guys that really want the track to make it. I get the guys wanting to travel around but remember your local track needs the cars and fans also to keep open. We are not trying to prove anything just give you insight on how it feels to be in our shoes. It's entertaining to me for all of the guys bashing Mr Steig on fb after he tells you that's why he closed the place in the first place. Hopefully you will learn to vent frustrations and work with your local promotors to keep the tracks operating and open. Now I'm sure all the Heros will get on here and point out all of our flaws at Onaway but I can assure you all we did it for was the true love of the sport and I sacrificed 5 years of my racing career to be told how stupid I was on a weekly basis. We will see how racing goes in the near future and I hope you all choose to support and not keep tearing the sport apart.

#10 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

You have hit the nail on the head Jim.

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#11 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Don't know all the details on the Cherry Raceway deal but Springport for example herd very few complaints from drivers or anyone about how Jeff and Pam Parish but they finally had to wave the white flag you can only live on the edge of being in the red and being in the black for so long and Rick and Jennie Miracle at Owosso went through the same thing then a wreck that could have gone really bad and cost them everything finally showed them it was time to get out a lott of the people doing the bitching should bring there check books with them and experience iy for themselves
Bob Kaul
2017Track Count
Tri City 15
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Mt Plesant 2
Whittemore 2
Birch Run 1
Silver Bullett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#000000"]

#12 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Icon

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

get real! Short track racing is dying? The internet is killing it?

Then how come a 26 year old can buy a dead racetrack at a public auction and turn it into the most successful track in the state with the best surface and best driver morale? This stuff isn't magic, it happens every Friday in Auburn.

You just have to be reasonable, respectful, and hard-working... and I've raced at a LOT of tracks and only 2 can truly boast those 3 qualities

More often than not, I see drivers willing to reciprocate what they are given (consider this post a perfect example of that)
Mediocre is not good enough... ever.

2018 schedule

Beatrice (NE) Spring Nationals March 9-10 (weather permitting)
IMCA @ Tri City Speedway starting April 20th
Boone Supernationals September 4-8

Follow me on Facebook!

#13 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

http://tjslideways.c...cing-endeavors/
Bob Kaul
2017Track Count
Tri City 15
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Mt Plesant 2
Whittemore 2
Birch Run 1
Silver Bullett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#000000"]

#14 User is offline   jhaydenX Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

View Postkaiserfan, on 01 January 2016 - 05:13 AM, said:

Very good article! Sums up my feelings exactly.
Johnny Hayden

#64 PLM

#15 User is offline   fastforward Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

View Postkaiserfan, on 31 December 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

The best article I've read on this topic since I wrote my anecdotal post on here earlier this week. I have been calling BS on this topic since Baerfield Speedway closed suddenly a couple years ago and then they went on the defense with the their anti-Facebook campaign.

Only the strong survive.

#16 User is offline   jhaydenX Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

View Postguseyracing, on 01 January 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

I seen Kenny Wallace posted this link. A track that will start handing out penalties if something bad is posted about it. http://www.ransomvil...y.com/media.htm

What he had to say about it on his facebook page:

Kenny Wallace (Official Page)

Yesterday at 10:03am
"This is a GREAT example of what the NEW should be about Social Media. http://www.ransomvillespeedway.com/media.htm"

I can remember when certain tracks were blaming racing forums and message boards for their problems. That was ridiculous and so is this.

While I don't agree with blaming track failures and closures solely on keyboard warriors,( I thought the TJslideways article was talking about my home track) I'm surprizingly not against this policy. Whether some of us like the outcomes or not, we are given avenues to show our displeasure with race tracks.....telephone, cellphones, email. Some may disagree, facebook/ public internet forums are not avenues given, plus these are usually more offensive.
Think about it for a second. If I were a customer and a restaurant having a burger and over heard the manager and another employee in a pissing match over something between them, thats going to give me a bad impression, and I'm most likely going to think twice about coming back again, because I can go have a burger down the street and not hear drama. You have to look at racing like this. Anymore someone will go do something entirely different then go to another racetrack.
The tracks are not competeing just against each other anymore, there are so many other things people/customers/fans can do for entertainment. A casual race fan can sit at home and watch nascar or a saturday night= good drama, entertainment. A driver can say to hell with with that track and its drama and take the boat to the lake and enjoy family time= no drama, entertainment. It's hard to get new fans or new drivers to come to tracks when they research an entertainment possibility and all they can find is one persons issue or opinion. New fans don't want to hear about how Driver A dislikes Promoter B because he charges $2 more per tire than Promoter A.

Regardless of what your opinion of what the relationship between the promoter/owner & drivers should be, this policy has merit. We drivers clamour for owner/promoters/officials to adhere to their rulebook, so why shouldn't we? If we drivers are given avenues to show our displeasure and we don't use them, who's fault is that? If a driver decides to use unapproved avenues for displeasure, how is it any different than using illegal parts?

Whether you like to admit it or not, racing is in trouble... everywhere.

fastforward said at the end of his post "Only the strong survive"..... well this track is flexing it's muscle.
Johnny Hayden

#64 PLM

#17 User is offline   fastbackss Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Another opinion on social media...

http://speed51.com/5...media-policies/

#18 User is offline   kaiserfan Icon

• Icon

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

http://merrittspeedwaymi.com/mtjan7/
Bob Kaul
2017Track Count
Tri City 15
Crystal 3
Merritt 6
Mt Plesant 2
Whittemore 2
Birch Run 1
Silver Bullett 1
Owosso 1
[color="#000000"]

#19 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

View Postkaiserfan, on 07 January 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

Mikes thoughts are rite. not enough positives on local tracks. My home track Flat Rock, I love the place. This opening nite will be my 61st opening nite. Why? Because I love the facility and my fellow racers. Do I think they give the fans a good show? Hell yes. Do I think there could be some improvements? hell yes but management will not meet or listen to the racers, so sometimes we bitch on social media to get or points across. Onaway? Great track raced there twice treated me great so i dont know his trials and tribulations and only hear the stuff i see on social media. Merrit i visit at least 3 times a year as a spectator, love the place been there on nites when it was 15 bucks a car load, so from that side of the fence youve got your sh.. together. from the racers side, dont kno havent been there. So i guess what im saying is YOU GUYS the promoters need to use the social media networks to promote yourselves and the positives about your facility and maybe set up meeting with the bashers on social media so everyone can see that you are willing to listen to and address complaints. I dont mean to have the meeting on the internet but set up the time and place on it. I want my great grandchildren, that i dont have yet, to love local short track racing.

#20 User is offline   Double D Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostDouble D, on 08 January 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Mikes thoughts are rite. not enough positives on local tracks. My home track Flat Rock, I love the place. This opening nite will be my 61st opening nite. Why? Because I love the facility and my fellow racers. Do I think they give the fans a good show? Hell yes. Do I think there could be some improvements? hell yes but management will not meet or listen to the racers, so sometimes we bitch on social media to get or points across. Onaway? Great track raced there twice treated me great so i dont know his trials and tribulations and only hear the stuff i see on social media. Merrit i visit at least 3 times a year as a spectator, love the place been there on nites when it was 15 bucks a car load, so from that side of the fence youve got your sh.. together. from the racers side, dont kno havent been there. So i guess what im saying is YOU GUYS the promoters need to use the social media networks to promote yourselves and the positives about your facility and maybe set up meeting with the bashers on social media so everyone can see that you are willing to listen to and address complaints. I dont mean to have the meeting on the internet but set up the time and place on it. I want my great grandchildren, that i dont have yet, to love local short track racing.

Sorry forgot to mention Mottville, great little facility, no track ever has gone out of there way to help the low dollar racer keep racing more than Merle and Mottville. If it wasnt 170 miles away I would be there every week! Merle is the promoter you all should listen to, because HE listens to his racers.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users